coolant on spark plugs

dirtlord420

just here
Aug 1, 2005
tn
ok i just finshed my bhg job, and now am getting coolant on my spark plugs. i replaces the isc hoses last year. the coolant is on top and bottom of the plugs. no sings of leaking any where eles. what about those plugs between the spark plugs. do those have anything to do with the coolant?

dirtlord420

just here
Aug 1, 2005
tn
the machine shop could have, but i dont know. they are on pretty tight. would you think that seal up with rtv sealant or a gasket? what about those plugs above the spark plug galley? i think those are for the oil passages.

CyFi6

Aliens.
Oct 11, 2007
Phoenix
www.google.com
those plugs do seal off coolant. If its leaking from them you should probably drain the system, pull them out, and use some teflon tape on them or something like that and tighten them back

dirtlord420

just here
Aug 1, 2005
tn
CyFi6;960445 said:
those plugs do seal off coolant. If its leaking from them you should probably drain the system, pull them out, and use some teflon tape on them or something like that and tighten them back

yeah i was thinking it might be those plugs, bc all 6 spark plugs had coolant on them. i'll try that after work, and recheck my hoses.

dirtlord420

just here
Aug 1, 2005
tn
i can not get those plugs to break lose. if they are on that tight can they leak? this just doesnt make sence.

AJ'S 88NA

Jul 26, 2007
Florida
dirtlord420;961413 said:
i can not get those plugs to break lose. if they are on that tight can they leak? this just doesnt make sence.

I've never seen a leak on those. You probably have a leak somewere else. Have you noticed coolant anywere else? Maybe while filling it it could have been blown back by the fan.

MadNad

Jan 25, 2008
Lafayatee, CA
MadNad;960435 said:
Are you sure you just didn't get some drippings from the water bypass hose #3 (goes to the TB)?

The reason I mentioned this is because when i was going to retorque my headbolts after a BHG job, I noticed I had some coolant in my #4 spark plug wells. Not much but enough to notice, and it was only in that one spot. I'm guessing that when I removed the hose, I had a little spillage.

But just in case you really are leaking:
http://www.cygnusx1.net/Supra/TechTips/head_coolant_leak.aspx

CyFi6

Aliens.
Oct 11, 2007
Phoenix
www.google.com
if coolant is just IN the hex parts of those it doesnt mean theyre leaking, id pressure test the system first so you can make sure you know where the leak is comming from

dirtlord420

just here
Aug 1, 2005
tn
thanks for the help. am pretty sure it is a real slow leak. it must have built up i took it for a 2 1/2 hr drive. then another 2 1/2 hr drive home. pretty much when i get home it starts sputting. i cleaned up and put it back togather with out the spark plug galley. so i can tell how much and from when a little better. am starting to think its coming from the back of the head where that large banjo is.

i also took it for a test drive last night, and didnt see any coolant in there.

Finnon

Mar 26, 2006
South Shields, Tyne & Wear ENGLAND
when i replaced my spark plugs the other day i had what seemed like droplets of coolant on the plug lead boots (below the spark plug galley cover) and there seemed to be steam coming from them aswell. yet there was no evidence of oil and water mixing together in the oil that was surrounding the plugs lol.

Ive just picked up new rocker cover gaskets so i can sort them out asap and try and see where i have a leak aswell