Archive: AFC/SAFC/II/Neo Questions

turbotrev

Goin WEEEEE on my gsxr600
Aug 7, 2006
Clinton, MO
my mods SAFC2, 640cc injectors, MBC 14psi, walbo, adj-FPR, AEM wideband, and forged internals .20 over.

i recently got it back together and was wandering if there is some settings on the SAFC2 to get it to run not so lean? it will be good when i first start the car up at like 11.3-11.6 AFR. then i will drive it for about 5mins and it will spike up to off the charts then to 15.5-15.9 and i will let it sit and idle at that AFR and try to adjust the FPR and nothing happens and this is driving it at under 2100rpms the whole time before i try to adjust the FPR.

it will stay at good AFR in the real low rpm range in 1,2, and 3 gears which 3 was the highest gear i went to and sometimes it will spike up to 15-17's.

what could i do or try to get it to safe AFR's as i break the motor in?

any and all help is very welcomed :)

trev

drjonez

Supramania Contributor
Mar 31, 2005
the motor city
www.4cefed.com
1. what's your base fuel press set @?

2. you're not that lean....should be fine for break in (though that depends on how you're breaking it in). i'm surprised you're that lean given your HUGE injectors....

to me, you've got a problems somewhere. check codes, check SAFC setup, etc. something is wrong- w/that size inj and normal fuel press you should be crazy rich....

turbotrev

Aug 7, 2006
Clinton, MO
as it sits its at 5psi but when i turn the car off its at like 20psi.

the afc settings are at ?????? b/c i had a shop do my tuning and they screwed me over :(.

i have not gotten any boost while driving b/c i keep it under 2500rpms the whole time.

i have never checked codes for the supra so is it just plug in the reader or what?

and i dont have the manual for the safc2 and can dl it b/c adobe is f ed up.

drjonez

Supramania Contributor
Mar 31, 2005
the motor city
www.4cefed.com
turbotrev said:
as it sits its at 5psi but when i turn the car off its at like 20psi.

what?!?!? that can't be right....

turbotrev said:
the afc settings are at ?????? b/c i had a shop do my tuning and they screwed me over :(.

not so good. you really can't get it tuned until you break it in anyway....

you can easily look @ the SAFC's settings...read the manual and learn how to use it!

turbotrev said:
i have not gotten any boost while driving b/c i keep it under 2500rpms the whole time.

good.

turbotrev said:
i have never checked codes for the supra so is it just plug in the reader or what?

www.cygnusx1.net

goto the TSRM

goto the EFI section

read.

turbotrev said:
and i dont have the manual for the safc2 and can dl it b/c adobe is f ed up.

i suggest you find a to read a .pdf....there are many other viewers other than adobe. w/o a manual you're shooting in the dark.

1jzneil

1jz destroyer
Feb 25, 2006
warren, michigan
sorry to butt in but did you say your base fuel is only at 5psi ? and 20 psi when you shut it off? its supposed to be around 43-46psi if i remember correctly. i have been wrong before . hope i helped and didnt just waste your time.

turbotrev

Aug 7, 2006
Clinton, MO
ok i just took it out awhile ago and i did notice it threw a code so im gunna check that tomorrow.

i got the manual finally so i saved it and printed all 64 pages of it.

the fuel was at 15psi right after i turned the car off

and now itll die on me when i let off the gas in 4th gear. i think it is b/c it overloads it with fuel and kills the spark but im not to forsure on that.

is there a way to reset the safc2 to start fresh? im gunna read the manual tomorrow and see if there is a way.

trev

drjonez

Supramania Contributor
Mar 31, 2005
the motor city
www.4cefed.com
1jzneil said:
sorry to butt in but did you say your base fuel is only at 5psi ? and 20 psi when you shut it off? its supposed to be around 43-46psi if i remember correctly. i have been wrong before . hope i helped and didnt just waste your time.

exactly. here's the TSRM page for it:

FI_073.gif

turbotrev said:
ok i just took it out awhile ago and i did notice it threw a code so im gunna check that tomorrow.

the check eng light doesn't need to be on....it can store codes w/o turning the light on.

turbotrev said:
i got the manual finally so i saved it and printed all 64 pages of it.

good!

turbotrev said:
the fuel was at 15psi right after i turned the car off

eh, not really useful. what is it w/the car running and the vac line off?

turbotrev said:
and now itll die on me when i let off the gas in 4th gear. i think it is b/c it overloads it with fuel and kills the spark but im not to forsure on that.

no way to know, you need to sort out everything else...

turbotrev said:
is there a way to reset the safc2 to start fresh? im gunna read the manual tomorrow and see if there is a way.

trev

sure is. see the manual for the reset procedure.

7mge-t_cressida

1/2na-t cressida FTW!!!
Apr 7, 2006
Hawaii
I got a 7mge na-t with the following:

-stock ct26 turbo, mani, dp, and exhaust
-stock 7mgte 450cc injectors
-7mge electronics
-7mgte intercooler w/ piping
-safc 1

now what i need to know is what correction levels have you na-t with the same or similar setup have you set? low throttle and high throttle if you got them. also while on the subject what % did you guys set your throttle low and high levels at? im not gonna leave this i just want more info on what people have been successful with... just as a starting point to tune off of.

drjonez

Supramania Contributor
Mar 31, 2005
the motor city
www.4cefed.com
i cannot recommend attempting to use anyone else's settings....you're just asking for trouble.

no mention of any sort of mixture monitoring device in your list. get a WB, learn to use it.

likewise, no mention of any sort of timing retarding device....the GE's timing tables are far too advanced for any sort of real boost.

7mge-t_cressida

1/2na-t cressida FTW!!!
Apr 7, 2006
Hawaii
drjonez said:
i cannot recommend attempting to use anyone else's settings....you're just asking for trouble.

no mention of any sort of mixture monitoring device in your list. get a WB, learn to use it.

likewise, no mention of any sort of timing retarding device....the GE's timing tables are far too advanced for any sort of real boost.

yeah i'm currently looking for a wb. i've used it before but it wasn't mine lol. and what do you consider to be "real boost"? i plan on running stock 6 psi thats why.

silverkill

SILVERKILL
Aug 10, 2005
FL
Anyone running the new safc neo? I'm thinking about getting one soon. Is it the same as the older one, wiring anyways? Or should I just get the older one?

RTA Supra

MA70 Enthusiast
Apr 1, 2005
Tampa, FL
As taken from Apexi-usa.com

- Completely new case design
- Compact design
- Incorporates both AFC and VAFC functions in one unit
- 16 point fuel correction
- Color FED display
- User defined button and background colors
- Inverted "anti-glare" screen