Antisurge/Ported Shrouds

Doward

Banned
Jan 11, 2006
Alachua, FL
In order to understand how an 'anti-surge' compressor housing works (which is technically a 'ported shroud'), you need understand what surge is, in the first place.

Surge: The 'Surge Line' is the leftmost boundary of a compressor map. This is where flow instability occurs - This is where the compressor wheel is spinning at a high enough speed to force more air than the engine can injest. On initial thought, one might think this would just give you more pressure in the intake - and this is true, as long as you are on the compressor map. Basically, the surge line is the MINIMUM airflow needed to keep the pressure from backing up, and causing reverse flow pressure waves - these are INCREDIBLY damaging to the turbocharger!

Follow that thought a little further - when are you constantly seeing high flow of air, but little entering the intake? That's right, when you get off the throttle from boosting. This surging is what a BOV protects the turbo from. You also see this, if you have attempt to spin a compressor wheel such that it is forcing more air into the intake than the engine can take - or attempting to get more boost per rpm of the compressor wheel, than it is designed for.

That said, the ported shroud allows the surge line to be moved further left - this is because the compressor housing allows some of the air that starts to get backed up in the intake, to flow back out the housing.

Here's a pic from Garrett:
shroud.gif

sneakypete

Jul 18, 2007
Central NJ
I know im bringing this back from the dead, but at what point anti surge port be used?
reason im asking is that my turbo has an anti surge compressor housing, but i chose to leave the port closed for the time being.
thanks
-pete

IJ.

Grumpy Old Man
Mar 30, 2005
I come from a land down under
All reports I read before buying my 04z was it does add to spool time, I specced mine with a normal Comp cover and it surged like a bitch at low throttle opening/closing as the BoV springs were too heavy to allow them to respond fast enough.

Doward

Banned
Jan 11, 2006
Alachua, FL
Ian, did you ever run it with a ported afterword? I've always 'heard' that it adds to spool time, but I've never seen it verified, anywhere.

Doward

Banned
Jan 11, 2006
Alachua, FL
GrimJack;1319597 said:
Seems logical to me. It's essentially adding a 'leak' to the pressurized portion of the intake tract, right?

Watch Poodles' video - that's what real compressor surge is - when you are attempting to flow LESS air than the compressor is capable of delivering.

The ported shroud allows that airflow to circle back into the tract, preventing surge.

sneakypete

Jul 18, 2007
Central NJ
i thought my surge was bad. its nothing compared to that video. but i know i have surge.... should i drill out the surge port?
there is an area where the surge port should be. should i open it up?
-pete

IJ.

Grumpy Old Man
Mar 30, 2005
I come from a land down under
Doward;1319588 said:
Ian, did you ever run it with a ported afterword? I've always 'heard' that it adds to spool time, but I've never seen it verified, anywhere.

No I just modded the springs in the BoV's so they're more responsive to Off/On throttle and that cured my issue.

I don't know if Kristel still has the vid of when I took her for a drive but it was surging like mad during that run.

tissimo

Stock is boring :(
Apr 5, 2005
Melbourne, FL
GrimJack;1319597 said:
Seems logical to me. It's essentially adding a 'leak' to the pressurized portion of the intake tract, right?

It will make less power then a non ported cover as well.

Doward

Banned
Jan 11, 2006
Alachua, FL
Look at the location - you're not in the 'pressurized' portion of the intake - you're just inside the inlet where compression begins.

Tissimo, you've got back to back runs to show this?

Poodles

I play with fire
Jul 22, 2006
Fort Worth, TX
Slightly less power and more lag is a good trade off for not having a turbo grenade (or grenading your engine because of it, look at the dyno in that vid...)

Apr 4, 2005
Tucson, AZ
Im still learning about turbos/surging but am i correct in assuming if i run my stock (responsive BOV) with an aftermarket BOV like a Tial will this prevent surging?