Your favorite motor oil and why.

jdub

Official SM Expert: Motor Oil, Lubricants & Fil
SM Expert
Feb 10, 2006
Valley of the Sun
Outstanding oil...for those that want the best. You probably already know, but Red Line is a Grp V, ester based oil...same stuff they use in jet turbine engines. It resists heat breakdown better than any other and the additive pack is superb.

K&N filters are good, but there's better for the $$$ (Wix or PureOne)...K&N are Champion Labs filters. Take a look at this thread for a comparison:
http://www.supramania.com/forums/showthread.php?t=42763

Here's a primer on oil analysis:
Oil Analysis Basics

Using analysis you can run Red Line in a street car far above the usual change interval...I've seen guys run this oil 15K before changing it. You will get a base TBN when you do the VoA, when your UoA shows a TBN drop to the 2-3 range, it's time to change the oil.

When you get the results (both VoA and UoA), post them here:
Oil Analysis Thread

BTW - this little gizmo makes taking an oil sample uber easy ;)
Futomo Valve

jdub

Official SM Expert: Motor Oil, Lubricants & Fil
SM Expert
Feb 10, 2006
Valley of the Sun
In case there's any doubt what Exxon Mobil is using for their Mobil 1 base oil:

Exxon said:
Question:
Have Group 3 Base Oils Been Substituted for Better PAO Base Oils?
Why does Mobil 1 refuse to specify as to the base oil used in their synthetic products. I remember the Mobil 1 oils in the past proudly proclaimed that it was a PAO based oil. We all know the newer group 3 hydrocracked base oils are much cheaper to use than PAO based oils and are less stable in high temps. It would seem to me that if Mobil 1 still uses the better PAO base oils as their primary base oil, you would want to clarify it among those who are switching to other oils because of the ongoing internet talk that says Mobil has substituted group 3 oils for the better PAO oils. Any comments that would clarify the issue?
-- Wayne Swicegood, Asheboro, NC

Answer:
As we're sure you can understand, ExxonMobil does not discuss formulations publicly,as this information is proprietary. We would rather focus on the advanced technology and proven performance that our engine oils and other products offer to our customers. Mobil 1 is the world’s leading synthetic motor oil and the one chosen by more original equipment manufacturers around the world as factory fill. We want those facts to speak for us so our customers feel confident they are getting a high quality, high performance product that provides ultimate protection to their vehicles.

(Thanks JJ!)

Corporate double speak at it's finest...pretty much tells me that Mobil 1 is a Grp III oil ;)