Wrong engine and Keep right

JDMMA70

Dec 4, 2006
Houston
ever think about attempting to lap the block surface? May have a better chance at sealing a MHG if the plane is true.

schmuckingham

Dec 12, 2014
OHIOWN
JDMMA70;2044730 said:
ever think about attempting to lap the block surface? May have a better chance at sealing a MHG if the plane is true.

I have checked the block with a straight edge and it is all good to go, besides I am not using a MHG. The 1G isnt really known for blowing a headgasket like the 7M.... we just spin bearings when the oil gets a little low haha. Also I cant get the other dowel out and I dont feel like screwing it up trying to get it out.

themadhatter

Jul 5, 2006
Vegas
Man you really lucked out in not buying a white soarer lol, don't get me wrong i love mine but i just think yours has a much better paint scheme. Also thanks for pointing out the differences in the master cylinders, it should help when i do my auto to manual swap.

BTW if your having trouble finding anything 1g or soarer specific i am willing to help you source it since i live in Japan, just shoot me a PM.

JDMMA70

Dec 4, 2006
Houston
schmuckingham;2044732 said:
I have checked the block with a straight edge and it is all good to go, besides I am not using a MHG. The 1G isnt really known for blowing a headgasket like the 7M.... we just spin bearings when the oil gets a little low haha. Also I cant get the other dowel out and I dont feel like screwing it up trying to get it out.

have a bowl of Wheaties and then try again.

schmuckingham

Dec 12, 2014
OHIOWN
themadhatter;2044737 said:
Man you really lucked out in not buying a white soarer lol, don't get me wrong i love mine but i just think yours has a much better paint scheme. Also thanks for pointing out the differences in the master cylinders, it should help when i do my auto to manual swap.

BTW if your having trouble finding anything 1g or soarer specific i am willing to help you source it since i live in Japan, just shoot me a PM.

I will keep this in mind, I was going to get a manifold from over there but no one will import it for some reason.

JDMMA70;2044738 said:
have a bowl of Wheaties and then try again.

I tried Wheaties, dried ice, leverage and even heat....... no bueno

schmuckingham

Dec 12, 2014
OHIOWN
3p141592654;2044750 said:
Tap it, put on some washers and a bolt. and tighten the nut to get it out of there.

Again, no real reason to. I have found two different MHG for the engine but their crush thickness is too thin and they will raise compression considerably and the coolant/oil passages dont line up with the turbo version. I have also checked with Cometic about getting a MHG made to work but they dont have the tooling to do so. Secondly there is no point to lap the head, I checked for flatness in every plane possible and it is flat enough for me not to be able to get the thinnest feeler gauge under my straight edge ( which is like .0025). If I need a good smooth RMA then I would do it but since MHG is out I dont feel the need.

schmuckingham

Dec 12, 2014
OHIOWN
3p141592654;2044750 said:
Tap it, put on some washers and a bolt. and tighten the nut to get it out of there.

For future reference this really works, came out by hand after struggling with it for days

schmuckingham

Dec 12, 2014
OHIOWN
Update

I have been working on the car here and there, I waited for the cylinder head back for awhile and I got it back last week. It is back on the block and I went to torque down my head stud nuts but I didnt have a socket skinny enough to fit down in between the follower bucket holes. Once I got a socket I torqued the nuts down to 60 ft/lbs, little higher than factory 47 ft/lbs.

Now I am chasing a timing issue, every time I set the belt on everything lines up perfect and then when I turn it over by hand the exhaust gear gets off somehow. Its not a full tooth and we know the belt is not jumping but I have done the belt 4 times now and it does it every time. I am beginning to think it is just how it is. I will have some pictures tomorrow.

supraguy@aol

Dec 30, 2005
Atlanta
Is it a new belt?
Be sure that you have the right part number- maybe the new belt has one too many or too few teeth?

schmuckingham

Dec 12, 2014
OHIOWN
supraguy@aol;2053067 said:
Is it a new belt?
Be sure that you have the right part number- maybe the new belt has one too many or too few teeth?

It is the right belt, I think what is happening is the cam gear moves slightly when I tighten the belt up to remove the slack