Would a muffler silencer reduce gas mileage?

tekdeus

Pronounced Tek-DAY-us
Jan 23, 2006
Vancouver Canada
www.bitrontech.com
On a long highway road trip at 60-70mph, would an exhaust silencer cause any change in gas mileage? Not sure if an exhaust restriction would matter since there is not a huge amount of flow at cruising speeds.

Last edited:

suprabad

Coitus Non Circum
Jul 12, 2005
Down Like A Clown Charley Brown
It would have to be pretty darn restrictive to make a really noticable difference, especially (as you mentioned) at cruising speed. Did you get your brake issue worked out? (...I'm paying attention)

tekdeus

Pronounced Tek-DAY-us
Jan 23, 2006
Vancouver Canada
www.bitrontech.com
This one has a valve that opens under high exhaust pressure. Cool idea!
http://www.raceinspired.com/pc-3175...-silencer-gt-spec-and-n1-turbo-universal.aspx
APX-155-A025.jpg

EdT.Mk3

Sorta Secret Supra
Aug 21, 2008
San Diego
I'm not too sure about gas mileage on using a silencer... however, I was with Ed.D(super.secret.supra.club) last weekend when he reinstalled the Megan silencer on his car.

Installs easily, 2 little bolts and it goes right on. Overall it made the car much much quieter on the highway at cruising speeds. So much that a CHP bike drove right past us without even giving us a second glance. The downside to it is that the response of the car when thrown into WOT... well, sucked. Enough that we ended up removing it less than 30 mins later.

-Ed.T