Wiring in electric fans on AEM

Sep 19, 2011
Des Moines, IA
I am in the process of wiring up my electric fans on my 89 7mgte Supra with an AEM EMS 30-1130. I am trying to do a few things here. I would like to trigger my fans to turn on with my AEM EMS. I would like to have some help with figuring out wiring and outputs and inputs here.

So first thing is first. I need to figure out what pin on the ECU I can use for a switch to ground for the fan relay.

Next thing I am looking at is what do I need to do on the ECU's software to get to the menu where I can tell it what pin I am using, what it is for, and the conditions for it to turn on and off.

Right now I have been playing with the software, and I have been in the "Configure Outputs" menu and I believe this is the right place I need to be.
What I am trying to figure out in this menu is where and how do it set it to switch to ground?

Any help is appreciated. I have been working my ass off on the car for the past three days, so if any of this doesn't make sense please excuse me, as I am very tired at the moment.

Enraged

A HG job took HOW long??
Mar 30, 2005
Victoria, BC, Canada
you need to wire it into a pin that is available for switching, and then make the software match that pin.

In my case, if I recall it's connect to LS8 which is pin 3C on my 88, and then in the "configure Outputs" I set it to be "Active On", Coolant, 80 *C. It looks at my stock temperature sensor, and if it goes over 80, the fans come on. You can set it to be active under any conditions you want. If you want to get fancy, you can even have them turn off when you reach a certain speed, or turn off when you are at full boost, etc.

The main thing is that you connect your relay to the right pin, and that pin will be determined by what you have available. The AEM manual will tell you what pins are what, including which ones are plug and play for stock items.

Sep 19, 2011
Des Moines, IA
Thanks man. I kind of thought this same thing. I just need to figure out what pin I need to wire it to I suppose.

Does anyone know where to get the "C" plug for the AEM, or should I just use a single pin for it. I know I will be doing boost control and anti lag off the "C" plug sometime in the near future soon too.

Enraged

A HG job took HOW long??
Mar 30, 2005
Victoria, BC, Canada
the A, B, and C plugs are the stock plugs on my 88, the AEM plug is "2", as in pins "2-1" to "2-12". The AEM plug can be bought directly from AEM.

If you want to connect things to one of the stock plugs, simply splice or clip and rewire whichever pin you want to use.

Sep 19, 2011
Des Moines, IA
Enraged;1924311 said:
the A, B, and C plugs are the stock plugs on my 88, the AEM plug is "2", as in pins "2-1" to "2-12". The AEM plug can be bought directly from AEM.

If you want to connect things to one of the stock plugs, simply splice or clip and rewire whichever pin you want to use.

Im on a 89+ ecu so the pin out is different. But the AEM calls the special plug the "C" plug. Anyways what I think I have decided is that I am going to wire it to "EGR Temp" AEM name "LS #2" And I believe it is pin 16 on plug "A". Hope it works.

Funkycheeze

Grease Monkey
Jul 3, 2009
Calgary
It should work. make sure you use a relay, and if you run into issues with high amperage fans stalling the engine when they start, set the output to only be active at a speed about 200 RPM below the idle speed, so it will 'pulse' the fan a few times at start up.

Sep 19, 2011
Des Moines, IA
Ended up hooking it into the "c" plug along with boost control. I used a switch to ground at pin pw1. Works well so far. Just need to get a rough tune and I'll be good to go.