Wire wrap

Rennat

5psi...? haha
Dec 6, 2005
Tracy, CA
www.myspace.com
you seem to know your stuff when it comes to wiring, so im going to assume you can help me out with this also.

what could i/everybody use to wrap the OEM wire harness? especially those who have made there own and want it to last. I know DEI makes 'fire tape' and there are summit brands, and jegs brand of it also... but what else would YOU reccomend for a DIY job without taking off each connector?

<moved IJ>

figgie

Supramania Contributor
Mar 30, 2005
Twin Cities, Minnesot-ah
Thanks Ian!

Rennat

telfon spiral wrap :)

http://www.accuglassproducts.com/product.php?productid=16960&cat=470&page=1

works quite well and since you do not need to de-pin the wires, you can use it on all the harness.

The fire tape/Firesleeve stuff is really only of use in high heat area (close to the Turbo side of the motor). Otherwise it is overkill.

If you are looking for something a bit more sealed.

Kapton tape works well.

Same with Silicone tape.

Rennat

5psi...? haha
Dec 6, 2005
Tracy, CA
www.myspace.com
didnt meant to clutter your other thread, just figured have it all in one place, but i see the point. and thanks IJ.

i was thinking that the fire tape was a little 'over-kill' for most of the harness, but wasnt sure, which is why i asked.

and whats funny is that i have a roll of kapton tape sitting in our 'tape box'... haha
but when i look at the prices for all of the stuff, the kapton, the spiral wrap, and the other stuff that site had, the firetape is almost the same price.

but your saying that the firetape is good stuff though right? if you were trying to protect something it'll do the job?

thanks for the help!

figgie

Supramania Contributor
Mar 30, 2005
Twin Cities, Minnesot-ah
Of course it will do the job! Though fire tape is usually not very abrasive resistant compared to the good Polyolefin heat shrink (DR-25 from Tyco Electronics which was known as RayChem and the best of the best).

Of course there is also split loom in a nylon version. The good part of nylon split loom.

Can take a lot of heat.

the bad part, once it catches fire. It will turn into a wick.

btw the DEI Fire tape is the Silcone tape I mentioned. Works really well and can be found cheaper by googling electrical silicone tape :)

figgie

Supramania Contributor
Mar 30, 2005
Twin Cities, Minnesot-ah
btw thought of something

becareful with wrapping.

The more wires per bundle + a wire wrap = lower curent rating for the harness as temprature will be confined.

Rennat

5psi...? haha
Dec 6, 2005
Tracy, CA
www.myspace.com
i had no idea i could get an infraction.... i just thought your post had to be approved. sorry about that.

im not really wanting something thats going to turn into a 'wick' if it catches fire... lol. defeats some of the purpose of those. i've just been seeing all of the engine fires and i dont want a simple thing as exposed wires to set a fire.

more wrap = more heat kept inside from the wire? and thats bad im sure...

and i'll go google 'electrical silicone tape' right now... glad i posted this up before i spent the money on the fire tape! and im thinking of just wrapp the part of the harness near the exhaust manifold and the ones that cross over the top of the engine. and i moved my ALT. with a Ron. R relocation bracket to the a/c so no worries about any wires near that anymore!

Thanks IJ, and figgie!

figgie

Supramania Contributor
Mar 30, 2005
Twin Cities, Minnesot-ah
hehe

well how I remember doing it when wiring airplanes.

Bundle per current rating

ie

5 amps circuits in one big bundle. (20-30 wires)

The higher current circuits limited to a max of 4-8 wires/bundle tops.

For the ultra-high current circuits. Single runs.

figgie

Supramania Contributor
Mar 30, 2005
Twin Cities, Minnesot-ah
well the way the aerospace industry bundles is quite odd when you look at it but then take into consideration the other part and it makes perfect sense :)

We call it lacing. Works quiet well in keeping the bundle together tight but allows for air movement over the said bundle :)

I added this information to the wiring thread!