wideband placement

gravesdu_99

Jun 30, 2007
Potsdam
Hey guys my car is at the tuners right now and he is telling me that he can't tune the car in boost. I have an atomsphereic dump tube on an external wastegate, which the wideband is a little bit before the catilytic converter. So hes telling me that the dump tube needs to be rerouted into the exhaust for the wideband to read the full exhaust flow. Does this sound correct. I have seen a lot of aftermarket downpipes where the wideband is just on the exhaust and the dumptube is separate. I'm thinking of the BIC divorced downpipe for example or is it different when running standalone.

AndyMac

Mar 9, 2009
Canberra Australia
hmm...

I would think you would be fine if the placement was on the down pipe.... not sure about down near the cat.

I would still think its fine as its still going to be the same mixture in the exhaus gas.. right?

ForcedTorque

Join the 92 Owners Group
Jul 11, 2005
Satsuma, Alabama, United States
AndyMac;1347463 said:
hmm...

I would think you would be fine if the placement was on the down pipe.... not sure about down near the cat.

If you read the directions while installing your wideband, the sensor should be 36 inches downstream. Mine is in my test pipe. Closer than 36 inches, and you are going to burn out your sensor more frequently. Knowing this, I can't understand the wideband bung on the Lipp Elbow.

AndyMac;1347463 said:
I would still think its fine as its still going to be the same mixture in the exhaus gas.. right?

I would agree with this.

tbcmorris;1347466 said:
^^^^^^ exactly. Wether it all the exhaust or some its still going to sample it be able to determine an a/f ratio......seriously how many people have open dumps ;)

Many people on here have the open DDP, and there are many different variations of sensor locations.

gravesdu_99;1348321 said:
Thats what I thought, I just wanted to get my facts straight before I told the guy what an idiot he was.

I believe most dynos use their own wideband, with a sensor attached to your tail pipe. Why could he not use that for tuning? Is he very new at tuning, and scared to vary from his routine at all to adjust for a modified car?

JoeyJ;1348831 said:
take your car to someone else :S

CONCLUSION!

tbcmorris

SM Expert Thread Derailer
Mar 14, 2007
PRUVEN PERFORMANCE MILFORD CT
Almost :)

He stated the aftermarket dump, meaning aftermarket DP. OP stated that the wideband is just before the cat. Which is ore than 36in away and therefore placed safely and correctly, in order to maximize sensor life and open dump has no effect on accurecy of readin

/thread

gravesdu_99

Jun 30, 2007
Potsdam
Well I guess its back to trying to tune it on the road. This dyno was an hour and a half away and the next one is about 4 and half hours. When I opened the tune there was a lot of big jumps (hills and valleys). Where I know the supra maps are normally very smooth, this had no smooth lines what so ever.