Who makes pillow ball upper shock mounts for the MKIII?

destrux

May 19, 2010
PA
The stock upper mounts have that step in them that takes about alot of travel away when you go from the stock style spring to a sleeve/2.5"ID spring setup. Pillow ball mounts should get rid of that... Anyone know of a set of pillow ball mounts that are made for these cars?

destrux

May 19, 2010
PA
Thanks, I'll look into these. I might not need them now though, I figured out how to modify the stock mounts to do what I need.

supraguru05

Offical SM Expert: Suspension & Vehicle Dynamic
SM Expert
Dec 16, 2005
louisville ky
destrux;1682838 said:
Thanks, I'll look into these. I might not need them now though, I figured out how to modify the stock mounts to do what I need.

please post your idea and or pictures

destrux

May 19, 2010
PA
Scratch that, my idea didn't work. I had planned to cut the stock rear mounts apart and weld a spring seat to them, but it won't flex with the shock so the spring will bow and rub the threaded sleeve. My concern was that the rear shock mount had no solid (steel) place for an upper spring seat (for a 2.5 ID spring) to rest against and I didn't want to let it rest on the thick 1" chunk of rubber that's there as part of the shock mount because it'll probably cause the shock to clunk on rebound or do something unexpected.

I bought a set of lowering springs for now (as much as I hated to cave and do that). I'll revisit coilovers later.... probably not going to make koni or bilstein based ones though, I just don't have the time for it. Getting into the busy time of year now with everyone getting their tax return money to spend on their cars, going to be working late hours just with shop work.