White with Indiglo Backlit Speedo Guages?

VegaSupra

May 3, 2011
SoCal
Anybody have these? I know it's kinda gimmicky, but I am seriously considering it. My Supra is white/blue combo so it seems like it might be a good fit.

Is it more trouble than it's worth? Does it look really nice installed or does it look tacky?

LINK ---> White Guages with Indiglo Backlight

yhatzee89

Joe Yantz
Aug 31, 2012
San Antonio, TX
I really didn't like them, they seemed outa place to me. But the PO also put one of those SS gauge surrounds on with it. I personally just like the black better, goes better with the car me-thinks.

VegaSupra

May 3, 2011
SoCal
I meant to also ask... is it difficult to install this?

Like if I take it to a place that agrees to do it, is there a chance that they could screw up my electricals or something?

yhatzee89

Joe Yantz
Aug 31, 2012
San Antonio, TX
Honestly you would be better off doing this yourself, all you need is a screwdriver to pull the cluster out of the car, take it inside (better work area) and install. You would end up paying somebody a lot more than its worth to install these. For the money I would just do the blue LED back lighting mod :/ better lighting. And if you really need the white faces, order a set from speed hut, better quality and you will be happier with the end result

VegaSupra

May 3, 2011
SoCal
I was afraid you would say that. See, the thing is, I am really not into doing stuff to my Supra myself. It was even quite an accomplishment for me to install my own test pipe. (yes, i know... it's just a silly little pipe with bolts. i know. But I jacked up the Supra, got under there with tools, and I DID it!).

For example, I've had a brand new blow off valve kit with full hardpipe (custom fit to MKIII) sitting in my house for like 2 months. Of course, installing the pipe in place is a piece of cake, right? But I don't know the tricky little things, like taking the original stock BOV out of the equation correctly and making sure the new BOV is set precisely (with the top screw and everything).

I know that sounds so stupid, but I just am not mechanically savvy like that.

So I'm planning on paying some performance shop to install it here is SD probably more than I paid for the whole damn BOV kit just to make sure it's done right.

(Unless you can show me a video or description thread that might build my confidence to do it myself :icon_bigg)

Anyway, the thought of taking out my whole gauge cluster sounds like a daunting task. I really probably won't do it then. :nono:

yhatzee89

Joe Yantz
Aug 31, 2012
San Antonio, TX
This might change your mind on other people working on your car... http://www.supramania.com/forums/showthread.php?182178-Is-my-mechanic-screwing-me

Bro I used to be just like you, I knew what I wanted, just not how to make it happen. You need to find little thing to work on to get your confidence (and comprehension) of working with mechanical items up. Once you start doin small things that work right when your done with them, bigger things will seem more manageable. For me, it was new rims, That's what started it for me. I had new rims so I needed cross drilled and slotted rotors to look good behind them. I had absolutely no idea on how to swap them out, but I had bought them and I wanted the look bad enough that I started unbolting things until I could see how it all worked/went together (it helps to have a buddy who knows something about cars lol). after two days of cursing and swearing, I had new rims, rotors, brake pads, and struts. Now I can swap the rotors/change pads in about 30 min per side. But we all have to start somewhere :) the dash just might be your starting point

My staring point...

Your starting point...
http://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=...G4ll0PJjQorfCzObk_QPr2A&bvm=bv.49967636,d.aWc

Seriously it's only like a dozen screws lol

VegaSupra

May 3, 2011
SoCal
Not yet man. Haven't even ordered the gauges yet actually. I'll probably order them just to have them, but even with your encouraging pep talk, I still don't think I'm gonna take apart the dash and do it myself. I plan on having Driftmotion install some things for me. I might just add this to the list if I ever make it up there. :)