which twin disk?

yota8791

Jan 20, 2009
virginia
so i blew my flywheel into a million peices last friday, if u want in depth details check out my build thread, but anyways im gonn fix it. the trany made it through it just belhousing, clutch and shifter fork are gone. im gonna get the ultimate r-154 re-build kit by marlin crawler, from suprastore.com and have someone local put it together. i already have a 1 peice steel ds, and an upgraded lsd is going in with this re-build but im torn on clutchs? i was looking at clutchmasters fx800 but its $2,500, i was also looking at specs td but i havent heard many good things about spec from other cars and i wonder if they have the same fail rate in our cars? also checked into quater master td's, they are the cheapest so far and i have seen how they hold up in a srt-4, but i have more hp on my street tune than the srt did. when we finish this time it will have the fuel pump to push the hp its capable of, the goal is 700+ to the wheels. if yall have any input it would be greatly appreciated, oh and its a 7m btw :bigthumb:

Poodles

I play with fire
Jul 22, 2006
Fort Worth, TX
Gotta catch you on the suprastore tranny parts. They're using the old tool steel upgraded bearing cover from marlin crawler, and it HUGELY marked up. You can get the same kit (he doesn't put them in "kit form on his site, but it's the bearing cover, shift fork, upgraded thrust washer, bearing/syncro set, and the shifter cup and seat) with the better bearing cover from driftmotion for $50 less. Plus they're a vendor here.

Or you can skip having someone local do it and have marlin do it themselves for $2k for their race rebuild which includes a one year unlimited mile warranty.

Now, the clutch issue. So far as I know, you have tilton, SPEC, and OSGiken each have one. Not sure on the ORC. None are cheap though, you're looking at around $2K no matter which way you go. You CAN find them used for far cheaper, and all they usually need is a new set of plates which is far cheaper.

Heard of people buying used NASCAR tiltons off of ebay and getting a custom flywheel made to us them, but you still have to run a hyraulic throwout bearing or a push/pull converter like OSGiken makes.

SWD Fredester 3

Supramania Contributor
Apr 25, 2008
baltimore maryland
I'm expecting similar hp goals from my build. After talking to OS Giken they recommended using their triple disc clutch w/ the push pull conversion. "Should" be good for 800 rwhp. Also the shop I'm using here in Balto. is a distributer for OS Giken and had my clutch in about a week.

-Fred