Where should I start?

Emeraldage

Oct 13, 2011
Ohio
What do you think would be a better option?

Getting a 7mgte at a higher price around 1500 from ebay at low mileage, just do gasket and seals and what not on it.

or

Getting a 7mgte at hopefully junk yard prices one that has high mileage, blown or something and spending money machining and boreing it and all that. But I also figured the turbos would need fixed. I saw suprastore or drift motion turbo rebuilds are like $600, is that for both turbos as in the whole turbo unit? If that's only for one turbo not sure it'd be worth it...

Also would boreing the cylinders make any difference with these? I don't notice anyone ever doing that, I sure would love the deeper sound anyways. And upping the compression, but I'm not a guru with this engine.

Thoughts?

87targa

Nov 14, 2005
Utah
I would be skeptical on a "low mileage" 7m since the last 7m was from 1992 taking average mileage per year of 13000 or so would be 200,000 miles i would give the engine with "low mileage" at least 130,000 miles. if you can find one from a junk yard then sure take it and look over everything. as for the ebay engine, if you want to buy that then still look over everything.

my 2 cents

Another MkIII

Feb 22, 2009
Chicago
My thoughts: I would never use a 7M that had never been rebuilt. I don't care how "low milage" it is, or what the owner says, I am at the very least machining the head, replacing the head gasket, and maybe even replace bearings.
-AM3

jonahs_supra

May 17, 2011
Lancaster, Ohio, United States
^^AGREED

why pay 1500 for a engine you know nothing abou which will more then likely last only a yr or so
when you can spend 1500 on a engine and rebuild(guessing very little machining is needed) and know that it should last you years to come