When Do You Need A Standalone?

cbrpat

Mar 15, 2009
Huntsville, AL
At what point will the stock ECU not be enough? and a standalone ECU must be used? Like when you have a HUGH turbo very high flow injectors, ignition ect...
or can the stock ECU be able to handle all the MODS you can do to the engine?

cbrpat

Mar 15, 2009
Huntsville, AL
Gotcha on the full control.

Lets say: Block stock rods and crank, aftermarket pistons and rings
Cam stage 2, upgraded valve springs, but stock valves, shims, retainers, adjustable cam gears
FFIM with bigger throttlebody, exhaust header (tube) and bigger better flowing exhaust and bigger turbo elbow but stock turbo
bigger injectors 550 and better fuel pump and FPR

Anyways a mild built street car may see the track once a while.

Will the stock ECU be able to handle these type of MODS

I understand a standalone you have full control over all the engine functions and can see what everything (sensors) are doing in and one the engine.

Question: Is the stock ECU able to handle these MODS?

IJ.

Grumpy Old Man
Mar 30, 2005
I come from a land down under
While you could get a stock ECU to cope and do a reasonable job keep in mind that you'll have to lie to it to do so.

A lot of the guys run simular specs on the stock ecu here with varying degrees of success.

This is what I meant by "full control"

If your budget allows for it the standalone wins hands down and they're no longer a million bucks to buy. (just not a big fan of tricking the stock ecu or piggybacks but that's just me)

ForcedTorque

Join the 92 Owners Group
Jul 11, 2005
Satsuma, Alabama, United States
IJ has a money tree!

I have always thought the standalone was used once the piggybacks have reached their limit, and nothing you do to the car really adds much power anymore. Obviously I have not gotten to that point yet.

Poodles

I play with fire
Jul 22, 2006
Fort Worth, TX
Standalone depends entirely on the quality of the tune.

Want your car to last? Want it to make more power? A well tuned standalone will do that.

Could probably run a standalone on a stock car and make more power, get better fuel economy, and still be dead reliable.

Can everyone afford it? Nope, but most of the people running good standalones with good tunes don't blow shit up (unless you're IJ)

Neodeuccio

Addicted to boost...
Sep 30, 2006
Schenectady NY
What does a good standalone run nowadays? I know you can get a megasquirt for a few hundred bucks, but that's a piggy-back system only, right?

applesauce

Banned Scammer
Aug 24, 2006
Virginia
figgie;1285065 said:
standalone

from about $800 (megasquirt + harness + all the accesories) to about $50,000 for a full fledged Bosch Motronic MS 5.x series race ecu.

LOL!!! Damn $50,000, that must be for one of the "Lemans" Aston Martin's...

figgie

Supramania Contributor
Mar 30, 2005
Twin Cities, Minnesot-ah
applesauce;1286152 said:
LOL!!! Damn $50,000, that must be for one of the "Lemans" Aston Martin's...

Try more the F1 series, WRC etc. ;) Custom config for thier specific cars. Basically why MoTeC is throwing their hat in that ring, LUCRATIVE to say the least.