whatsup!? new kid on the site

mike86supra

Nov 26, 2008
connecticut
whatsup my names mike, i'm 17, i'm from CT, i'm new to this nice supra site and i love cars and now i have my chance to get into them with this car. about 2 weeks ago i got my maroon 1986-7 5spd. toyota supra, it's got a 7mge motor with 146K miles for only $150, WHAT A STEAL!!. the 0problem is it wont run.. but anyways whatsup?
i'd add pictures but i don't know how

Supra28

Supramanian
Aug 17, 2006
Columbus, OH/Kansas
Welcome to the forums Mike, what part of CT are you from?
$150 for a Supra really is a steal, even if it doesn't run. Upload your pic to Photobucket.com and then post it.

mike86supra

Nov 26, 2008
connecticut
pgiller;1202705 said:
Welcome to SM. What is doing. like wont start??

im from danbury in fairfield county. the car wont start because of the fuel filter i think. im not that great at diagnosing, but the previous owner said the last time he drove it he couldnt let off the gas. even when he had to stop or else the car would shut off on him. he made it close to home but it just got the the point where it stopped. aaand when i popped the hood there was oil all up in the spark plug wells, so theres no spark getting through. but now im replacing the valve cover seals. even after i cleaned up the spark plugs i still get no spark. i dont have a meter to check the coil or anything but i think its that. aaaand the prev. owner made a push button start which was stupid cuz now my battery keeps dying i think something shorted out or its just the alternator. i know its alot of writing but am i right? il have pics up soon. and are there any supra owners close by???

Supra28

Supramanian
Aug 17, 2006
Columbus, OH/Kansas
mike86supra;1202850 said:
haha no shit thats cool, you dont come up here no more?

We all moved here to Columbus, Ohio. I was borin in Providence, too much drama there. Last time I was in Danbury was about a year ago, I know some people there though.

supra1642

Aug 28, 2007
Michigan
you might have a blown valve cover gasket. use the search there is a good thread around somewhere about oil in the spark plugs it should help you out. good luck on getting it running.

mike86supra

Nov 26, 2008
connecticut
well as of now i bought new valve cover gaskets im gunne put them in but im trying to replace this metal gasket that goes over the spark plugs but i dont have the right tool yet. i think the problem is something electrical, im not getting any spark after cleaning the plugs up but im going to buy new ones. so it could be the distributor or ignition coil. theres a fuel problem also but the car should turn on if it was just that right??

mike86supra

Nov 26, 2008
connecticut
and as for what im going to do with the car i want to swap out the 7mge engine for a 7mgte, but im not sure where to look maybe some junk yards or something. this is my first project so im not really sure about much. i wanted to keep the non turbo engine in it but i dont know if i can do much to it, the car and the engine have 146k miles. i want to get an HKS exhaust, NGK spark plugs, rims and lower it for now, i dont want to do much without knowing what can stay in the car if i wanna do a swap..