What to expect when you're expecting.....A broken shift fork.

stolensupra

Gotta spray to play!
Jan 2, 2010
NORTH CAROLINA- Greensboro
Hello everyone, thank you for taking the time to view my post.

After missing 2nd and banging my shifter down into no mans land I'm almost positive I've broken my 1-2 Shift fork as I stated in a previous post in this section. From what I can tell it seems that would likely explain why I've got 3rd, 4th, and 5th but no R, 1, or 2.

Before biting the bullet and buying another R154 in unknown condition I'm going to remove and open up my trans that's never had one grind or pop out and hope it's the shift fork and also that I've got what it takes to replace it. I'm not a noob or anything I'm ASE A1 and A6 certified but never cracked open a trans in my entire life.

I don't have immediate access to the sst's and the Arbor press necessary to do a full rebuild (likely not the confidence either) but from what I understand per the TSRM I don't think I'll have a problem with the fork.

My question which differentiates this from my prior post is if anyone can suggest any other "might as well" and "need-to" replace parts that don't require special tools or a press while I've got it cracked open?

Also I've found a few partial guides on the R154 rebuild but nothing specifically about just replacing a fork.

If anyone has any tips for this or could contribute to my dilemma it would be greatly appreciated.

By the way big shout out and thanks to Mike @JayMarksToyota in the parts department for helping me identify that this one transmission I was going to buy as a replacement did not facilitate ABS.

Supra Love.

Mr Bojangles

Feb 9, 2009
Madison, WI
It really won't be that hard, the most difficult thing about them is figuring out the detent ball and pill order after they all come out the bottom in a pile. The only thing you're going to be able to replace without a press is the shifter socket and bushing, trust me you WILL need a 20 ton press to get any of the gear stack apart. Even with the 20 ton press it took some torch time to get the stack broken loose.

http://store.driftmotion.com/static/i-marlincrawlerbushingr154.php

http://store.driftmotion.com/static/i-marlincrawlershiftersocketr154.php

They also have a 3-4 shift fork if you feel like upgrading that while you're in there.

stolensupra

Gotta spray to play!
Jan 2, 2010
Thank you for the replay Bojangles, are you saying that I require a press to replace the shifter fork? Thank you for the suggestion as well. I was actually thinking of going ahead and replacing the 3-4 fork as well as the shifter socket bushings, throwout bearing, pilot bearing, and trans mount.

stolensupra

Gotta spray to play!
Jan 2, 2010
That's what I took from the diagrams. I feel like a dummy because I'm finally going to have access to a lift and a trans jack tomorrow but unfortunately I've been pouring over the W58 disassembley instructions for days in preparation not noticing the TSRM Manual Trans Index page. There doesn't seem to be that huge of a difference when it comes to the basic steps but still puts the ol' ego in check. Thank you for your reply Mr. Bojangles. I've got confidence that I can follow instructions properly but it's awesome to have some even if the most basic factoids. If anyone else can contribute based on experience I'd greatly appreciate it. I'm going to take and post pics of this process to the best of my ability. This surprisingly isn't covered in as much detail as some random other things. I would figure many more people would miss 2nd and bang that shit into no mans land showing off and have my problem as opposed to stressing over leaky targa seals. (not that I haven't ever had that issue)

Thanks for being the best enthusiasts group Supramania members!
I truly hate I'm going to miss the Mid-Atlantic Supra meet; I'll be there in spirit while breaking apart an R154.
Texas 2K14 FTW.