What killed my turbo? and other questions

empera

Authorized Vendor
Mar 30, 2005
Philly.
ok so i have a precision sc61 turbo with antisurge holes. A while back i noticed oil coming out the holes and it got worse. i was using the greddy type r bov and was too stiff and was getting a good amount of surge so i thought this was the culprit. So i then switched over to tial bov and by this time it was too late...couple of weeks late i got death whine, some side to side and in and out play.

Saturday we take the turbo to the local turbo guy, old guy that seems to know his stuff...tells me the bov being too stiff didnt cause the turbo to fail, it being too soft did, im thinking its probably back wen i blew the piping off a couple of times...??? i had the turbo rebuilt about 1 year ago and didnt give me problems until i switched to a whole new set up. Diff. manifold, greddy type r bov (now with tial) and aem. I have spiked to 20psi but fixed that problem.

So today i go back to the shop to pick up the turbo. I go in and the guy tells me it will be more since he found that the exhaust fins on the wheel are fucked and looked like some metal went through? But i havent, motor still running strong and never heard anything irregular. I have tested out the 2 step to see if its working but never did a launch nor tried it more than twice.

Could the previous owner had blown something through? If that was the case why wasnt this fixed by the people who rebuilt the turbo in the first place? What else could've cause this severe damage to the fins?

This really has me scatching my head so any input would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,
-emp.

figgie

Supramania Contributor
Mar 30, 2005
Twin Cities, Minnesot-ah
wow

a 61 with antisurge? Seriously? :eek:

On to your post.

The metal fins might have gotten chewed up if the shaft play was so extensive that it was allowing the turbine to hit the exhaust housing which can and has happened. No need to blow anything through the turbo to chew it that way.

empera

Authorized Vendor
Mar 30, 2005
Philly.
p1176704_1.jpg

p1176704_2.jpg

p1176704_3.jpg

p1176704_4.jpg

pics...