what is your personal opinion of the kicker l7

Pernilongo

LADA is my daily
Jul 15, 2007
Los Angeles
If you are going to put it in a supra then you need to consider weight Vs. boom benefits L7 requires a big box to sound good and adding weight to your sports car is not going to make it faster. L7 is more of an escalade material i think. there are very good and loud light weight solutions to put in your supra that will sound clean and loud. But if you are cruising most of the time and weight is not an issue and kicker appeals to you personally go for it. just keep in mind that L7 is more of an SPL driver than SQ.

Sside

May 20, 2008
Houston
I got a supra bout 4weeks ago and I am already planning the audio system on this car. I already purchased a vr3 deck for it, the ones in wal mart that have gps and a little screen. I am huge Car audio dude. I have owned anything from Kickers, Memphis, Jensen, Pioneer, Mtx and so on. So far, Kicker and Memphis are my fav brands from the subwoofers that dont break the bank. As of right now I am planing on putting One 12 inch Kicker Vx, 1 set of Polk Components for the back and regular speakers for the front :p. If you are more interested in Sq then the Vx will suit you better. Go to ubid.com, you can find some good deals on both L7's and Vx's there.

pbasil1

Fully built 1JZ project
Jan 30, 2008
Huntsville,AL
IMHO, L7's arent that great. For SPL, they are hard to beat, but overall musical and sq performance is a joke. They are sloppy, and very power hungry. And worst of all they require huge amounts of air space to perform well. A 12" L7 requires at least a 4cu/ft box to really hit hard. Thats just way too big, especially in a supra!!!

I have to agree completely with coobbies, walk away from kicker and grab an Fi BTL, or maybe an RE Audio SX... If you are a big kicker fan, get a compVX. It has the exact same motor structure as the L7, it just uses a round cone, which in turn requires less air space and can provide better sound quality as well...

OfnaRcR4

Shea!
Oct 2, 2006
kettering ohio
Sside;1036076 said:
I got a supra bout 4weeks ago and I am already planning the audio system on this car. I already purchased a vr3 deck for it, the ones in wal mart that have gps and a little screen. I am huge Car audio dude. I have owned anything from Kickers, Memphis, Jensen, Pioneer, Mtx and so on. So far, Kicker and Memphis are my fav brands from the subwoofers that dont break the bank. As of right now I am planing on putting One 12 inch Kicker Vx, 1 set of Polk Components for the back and regular speakers for the front :p. If you are more interested in Sq then the Vx will suit you better. Go to ubid.com, you can find some good deals on both L7's and Vx's there.

Uhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh
:nono:

With that said, i've already determined that the supra is terrible for audio. After getting my 6.5 componets in with some modification to the stock 6.5 holders the windows hit them. This is all after making 3 different glass enclosures that were all too big, but sounded great. There's just no room in the door to have great sound and a stock look, wich is what i want. As for subs, i've tried the whole put 2 L5's in a huge box with 3 large amps and not have a hatch area, but it's a supra, not a grand prix.

Basically i just have to buy some shallower comp's and i'm in the process of making a glass enclosure for a 10 or 2 in the spare tire well. It's going to be really shallow so i can still have all the stock pannels and wooden floor in. Who knows how that will turn out tho.

Oh yeah, L7's spl, but not so precise. L5's are just kinda poop.

Last edited:

Sside

May 20, 2008
Houston
OfnaRcR4;1040917 said:

With that said, i've already determined that the supra is terrible for audio. After getting my 6.5 componets in with some modification to the stock 6.5 holders the windows hit them. This is all after making 3 different glass enclosures that were all too big, but sounded great. There's just no room in the door to have great sound and a stock look, wich is what i want. As for subs, i've tried the whole put 2 L5's in a huge box with 3 large amps and not have a hatch area, but it's a supra, not a grand prix.

Basically i just have to buy some shallower comp's and i'm in the process of making a glass enclosure for a 10 or 2 in the spare tire well. It's going to be really shallow so i can still have all the stock pannels and wooden floor in. Who knows how that will turn out tho.

Ugh, I get those Vr3's dirt cheap( dont ask me how). 65 bucks. Compared 2 wut 380 bucks?. But honestly its just for now untill I can afford a clarion. But speakers wize I already have an idea on what I a going to do. Comp's? why 2? You dont need two. Just get a single 12 inch Vx, I might be getting a 15 inch vx maybe cuz they sell it to me for 70 bucks. But all you really need for these cars is one high quality Subwoofer in a ported box. I dont think supras are ment for spl competitions but Sq wize I think mine is gonna be a joy to work on.

OfnaRcR4

Shea!
Oct 2, 2006
kettering ohio
Sside;1041343 said:
Ugh, I get those Vr3's dirt cheap( dont ask me how). 65 bucks. Compared 2 wut 380 bucks?. But honestly its just for now untill I can afford a clarion. But speakers wize I already have an idea on what I a going to do. Comp's? why 2? You dont need two. Just get a single 12 inch Vx, I might be getting a 15 inch vx maybe cuz they sell it to me for 70 bucks. But all you really need for these cars is one high quality Subwoofer in a ported box. I dont think supras are ment for spl competitions but Sq wize I think mine is gonna be a joy to work on.

I think i said that in a confusing way. I meant my 6.5 comps in the doors are too deep and my window won't close, AND i'm working on a glass box in the spare tire well for a sub or two. I don't really want anthing big so maybe a 10 or two.

pbasil1

Fully built 1JZ project
Jan 30, 2008
Huntsville,AL
OfnaRcR4;1040917 said:

I dont think you tried hard enough to make an enclosure for the comps buddy. I fit some of the largest 6.5" mids in my door behind the factory grill and my window still goes down!
http://carforum.net/showthread.php?t=1699