What happens when the trust bearings are not installed??

nightrider760

Sep 25, 2008
escondido , tijuana
Hi everyone i got a question because it happens to be that the trust bearings are missing after replacing pistons,rings,bearings.My motor went out after a month it develop rod knock:nono: .The rod bolts from piston #1 were loose it actually caused the piston and rod to be bouncing a bit.The guy who did everything now claims that nothing would happen but an oil leak only if the trust bearings are not installed. I got into a big argument with the guy that i just wanted to slapp him, so what you think about it guys i will appreciate your advice.

sincere regards David

IJ.

Grumpy Old Man
Mar 30, 2005
I come from a land down under
"Thrust Bearings"

Bitch slap the builder, you would have had massive crank walk and this would allow the rods to contact the fillet of the crank and is THE cause of your RK NOT '"loose bolts"......

Mk3runner

Supramania Contributor
Nov 19, 2006
Nor Cal
.........lol? how would you forget a vital component such as thrust bearings?

baseball bat the mofo!

nightrider760

Sep 25, 2008
escondido , tijuana
IJ.;1208415 said:
"Thrust Bearings"

Bitch slap the builder, you would have had massive crank walk and this would allow the rods to contact the fillet of the crank and is THE cause of your RK NOT '"loose bolts"......
i really wish i could slap that MFK, but I have my car sitting at his place so he wiil have to fkn reassemble my car right this time. and now he wants to use 22r thrust bearings he has somewhere and i wont let him fck up my motor anymore

Does the crank walk will also make the engine loose power and limit the revs of the engine??

IJ.

Grumpy Old Man
Mar 30, 2005
I come from a land down under
Yes it'll be a pig as the crank is putting freaky loads into the rods.....

I know of a "builder" that should know better installing them back to front and trashing the engine never heard of someone NOT installing them though.

Just buy a 7M set they're NOT expensive

nightrider760

Sep 25, 2008
escondido , tijuana
IJ.;1208483 said:
Yes it's be a pig as the crank is putting freaky loads into the rods.....

I know of a "builder" that should know better installing them back to front and trashing the engine never heard of someone NOT installing them though.

Just buy a 7M set they're NOT expensive
thnx IJ for the info i could no bitch slap that MFK with the info :icon_evil:evil2:

Anth505

Failte
Apr 8, 2007
Toronto Ontario
I'm not sure if your local laws will allow you to do this but I would suggest towing your car and all it's parts to a different shop, let them do the work and bill the shop that screwed up your car.

I went through a situation with my rebuild where the mechanic that removed the motor did not reinstall it for months after it was rebuilt.

Another mechanic in the shop (who has become a very good friend) suggested I tow the car out of there and send the lazy mechanic the bill. According to my friend who has been a licenced mechanic for roughly 18 years, Canadian law will support this if the mechanic was negligent or did not follow through on the work.

Laws are different everywhere so maybe this will work for you, maybe it won't.

Just sayin'.

cmdeoro

VRROOOMMM!!!!!!.....PSSH!
Jan 21, 2009
Miami
nightrider760;1208475 said:
i really wish i could slap that MFK, but I have my car sitting at his place so he wiil have to fkn reassemble my car right this time. and now he wants to use 22r thrust bearings he has somewhere and i wont let him fck up my motor anymore

Does the crank walk will also make the engine loose power and limit the revs of the engine??

Losing power will be the least of your worries without a thrust bearing. Excessive crankshaft endplay is a nightmare!:cry:

Supracentral

Mar 30, 2005
Whoever did this. Do me a favor. Take his largest wrench and smash both of his hands so he can't destroy another motor.

That's not an engine builder - that's a monkey with a wrench.

andrejun

Feb 14, 2009
La
It will act like something terriable is wrong with your clutch, machine the piss out of your lower timing cover and the area where the thrust washers should be.

I'd *guess* the block is toast.

The washers are cheap. <$20

A buddy of mine had the thrust washers fall out (for no apparent reason) around 120,000 miles.

CyFi6

Aliens.
Oct 11, 2007
Phoenix
www.google.com
Even if the nuts of the rod were just "loose"... isnt that his fault anyways. He built the engine and it failed, he is responsible. I would not have him do any further work on your car. Even if he forgot the thrust washers, he should have checked endplay and if he did, he would have seen something was wrong. Who knows if he measured anything at all, he probably just threw it all together.

ForcedTorque

Join the 92 Owners Group
Jul 11, 2005
Satsuma, Alabama, United States
My confidence would not be very high with any other part in that motor. I request that the shop have someone else do the work at the very least. If he's the shop owner, you're screwed. I would probably bite the bullet, and take it elsewhere at my own expense before letting them touch it again at that point.