what do you guys do?

cote006

Mar 19, 2012
St. Cloud, Minnesota
that is very true. i think what i'll do is just go to school for it and fix it myself. i just applied to the local tech college here for the auto mechanics course to get my Associate of Applied Science degree from there. if i can get accepted, i'm gonna talk to the place and see if i could bring my own car in to work on. that way not only can i learn the stuff, but i can then also fix it myself. plus that way it will get done right.. and if not, i'll at least be able to know where i went wrong. i figure that way it will make me more proud of myself knowing i brought her back to life myself, anyway, and only further improve my love for the car :p

IBoughtASupra

Mar 10, 2009
Queens, NY
gaboonviper85;1849129 said:
Bringing your car to tech is a bad idea..

+1

You don't want those kid to work on it.

My friend's brother is in shop class in high school and can't tell the difference between a 14MM and 15MM socket when placed on a 14MM nut, yet he thinks he knows more than us.

te72

Classifieds Moderator
Staff member
Mar 26, 2006
WHYoming
IBoughtASupra;1849163 said:
My friend's brother is in shop class in high school and can't tell the difference between a 14MM and 15MM socket when placed on a 14MM nut, yet he thinks he knows more than us.
What the hell is a 15mm socket used for?

89niner

Jul 3, 2011
warshingtonia
I work, ALOT, when I'm not working my car is my hobby. When it breaks down I fix it, when its not broken I upgrade. New bearings, rings, and a hone is around 200$, factory head gasket off rock auto is around 80$ shipped, buy an ebay engine gasket kit minus head gasket 50$ or so. For $330.00 and some borrowed tools, you could rebuild your engine. Unless of course you threw a rod through the block. Its just an engine dont be scerrrd just fix it.

cote006

Mar 19, 2012
St. Cloud, Minnesota
89niner;1851963 said:
I work, ALOT, when I'm not working my car is my hobby. When it breaks down I fix it, when its not broken I upgrade. New bearings, rings, and a hone is around 200$, factory head gasket off rock auto is around 80$ shipped, buy an ebay engine gasket kit minus head gasket 50$ or so. For $330.00 and some borrowed tools, you could rebuild your engine. Unless of course you threw a rod through the block. Its just an engine dont be scerrrd just fix it.

luckily i didn't throw a rod! i stopped driving it before that could happen. but i've been looking a lot for a new job being as military stuff is now done, and i'm left with literally $2 to my name.

but i do SOMEWHAT have access to tools. my brother-in-law has a lot of tools being as he's a mechanic. i'll hopefully have a bunch of tools soon because i'm going to school for mechanics. my goal is to see if i can get the car in for the class car so i can work on it myself under the supervision of a "teacher."