Weird Idle after turbo install

Jebadoo

Feb 26, 2012
Altoona, pa
Well here I am with another dumb issue:

After I got everything wired up (Hardwired CPS, Hardwired O2) Checked all connections, INSTALLED BRAKE MASTER CYLINDER.... I have a weird idle issue. Cold start car sounds beautiful, idle correct, no stumbles. As it warms up in begins to idle between 500-600 rpm and surges hard..... corrects for a few seconds then starts again.

Also, as I drive it, it stumbles up the RPM range until I reach 0 vacuum then the boost kicks in twice. like two power surges....... Any thoughts?

Jebadoo

Feb 26, 2012
Altoona, pa
Well, here's an update:

Unplugged the AFM and it idles amazing........ SO stupid me attempted to clean it and now I get a code 31..... Idles amazing.... but got a code..... Bad AFM I'm assuming?

Jebadoo

Feb 26, 2012
Altoona, pa
Would a bad AFM cause weird idle issues and driveability issues without throwing a code?

I mean, now no matter what I need new electronics which are on their way, but do you think that's what the issue may be?

Jebadoo

Feb 26, 2012
Altoona, pa
Well, put different electronics in my housing, starts right up, no codes.... When it begins to warm up, it begins idling rough again.... I blip the throttle and almost instantly get a code 31 again and idles fine......

This is driving me crazy, any thoughts???

Jebadoo

Feb 26, 2012
Altoona, pa
I read through that, I honestly don't think its the afm itself, this will be the second one I installed, electronics only. I'm going to look over the wiring again, but this just boggles me how out ran fine before the turbo blew out and I think the brake booster blew also

Jebadoo

Feb 26, 2012
Altoona, pa
I did have to switch to a much shorter air filter due to a new hard intake pipe before the turbo..... could the shorter air filter (Advance auto spectre cheapy) be causing the issue? Should I just fab up a CAI or run it without the filter to see what happens?

airhead04

Aug 21, 2009
Lima, Ohio, United States
Jebadoo;1841633 said:
If it gets improper flow, it can throw the code 31 too can't it? Oiled filters also can cause it I heard.

Oiled filters cause it because the oil in the filter gets in the electronics and destroy the metering device. Thus throwing a code 31 because your metering device is no longer functional.

Jebadoo

Feb 26, 2012
Altoona, pa
I'm half tempted to just save up and eliminate it. Any semi-simple fool proof ways of eliminating the afm? HKS gcc and VPC? Maftpro with MAP? MAP ECU? I'm honestly hitting walls with this thing everytime I even touch it.

Green7mgte

Dec 30, 2009
North Canton, Ohio, United States
true on the improper flow but as long as your filter is sealed, I wouldn't see how it would make it wonky. I would be more concerned with the honeycomb in the housing causing a weird vortex more then a shitty filter. but I guess that depends on the cheapness of the filter..

Jebadoo

Feb 26, 2012
Altoona, pa
Update!

Afm seems to be working properly now as I no longer have a cel, however I still have a low rpm missfire and odd lumpy idle when warm, could bad gaskets and oil soaked plugs do this??

Boost seems to come in two stages as well, didn't seem to pull as hard either