Weak alternator

mkIIIman089

Supramania Contributor
Mar 30, 2005
Ohio
hey guys, driving my car last night and I was turning around in the small developement down the road to me and on the downshift into 1st gear the engine went down to idle speed from about 2.5k and the headlights dimmed a very noticeable amount. My bro in the passenger seat also noticed. So my question is, do our cars normally have kind of fritzy alternators since I remember reading someone else's problems with low voltage readout. Is it worth it to upgrade the alternator to a PHR one or should I try an MR2 alternator, or just buy a new one at an auto parts store? Thanks!

Idealsupra

Supramania Contributor
Mar 31, 2005
Orlando
www.tampabaysupras.com
all of your options are fine...however in reality maybe theres a connection loose with your headlights...dont jump right to the alternator just yet.

did you notice your gague cluster dim as well? any of the idiot lights come on? if it was JUST the headlights im willing to bet theres a loose connection somewhere and its not the alternator...

look into it some more...

mkIIIman089

Supramania Contributor
Mar 30, 2005
Ohio
I don't think it was just the headlights, though I do not have any electronics in my car besides the stock engine management, I do believe that the gauge cluster dimmed at the same time as the lights did. It has happened before when I'm more or less parked too.

Asterix

Lurker of Power
Mar 31, 2005
Vienna, VA
How many miles are on this alternator? Could be the brushes wore down and finally stopped touching the slip ring. Getting a good rebuilt one is always the best option, in my opinion.

Check all the connections first, like the one from the battery to the alternator.

Asterix

mkIIIman089

Supramania Contributor
Mar 30, 2005
Ohio
Not that many... 104k miles at the most. Today is my 1st day off in forever it seems so after school I'll go tinker with the connections and what not.