Wastegates: internal vs external

turbo87targa

Nov 10, 2006
colorado springs
pretty sure this is the right forum.
What are the pros of running an external wastegate?
I'm really at a loss for the specifics of what I'm tryin to figure out, but lemme know what your guys experience is.

Doward

Banned
Jan 11, 2006
Alachua, FL
Generally, an external wastegate will respond faster (dual port) vs an internal wastegate. Boost creep is much less of a problem, and the wastegate itself is generally much larger than the internal.

turbo87targa

Nov 10, 2006
colorado springs
Well I guess if it spooled faster it would only make sense ha it would open faster too lol.

So it sounds like an easy decision to go external, I guess the only other question I can think of is what exactly is the function of a wastegate? I know thy open at a certain psi, but really never knew what it did pre/ post opening.... Kinda sad I know.

Nick M

Black Rifles Matter
Sep 9, 2005
U.S.
www.ebay.com
The function is to control how fast the turbine is spinning. That limits the total airflow from the unit into your engine.

IJ.

Grumpy Old Man
Mar 30, 2005
I come from a land down under
Back in the dark ages Turbo's were free floating ie: No WG at all and were sized to work in a very narrow powerband, not so great for cars where the widest possible powerband is desirable.

If you installed a tighter turbine housing it improved low and mid range response but would overspeed the turbo causing failure, enter the WG, it's job is to control the turbine speed anything else is secondary.

Internal gates are a poor second to a quality external as by design the tend to "creep" and do blow the valve off the seat causing lag when used with a low spring pressure actuator.

An external will plumb some boost into the back of the diaphram via an EBC to assist the light spring and this combination allows as low as 3 psi to be set and maintained as well as whatever high setting is desired without the creep caused by the small flapper internal valve

If you make the flapper bigger to prevent creep the increased area requires a stiffer spring to hold it on the seat, there are some rare dual valve internal gate turbine housings around.

turbo87targa

Nov 10, 2006
colorado springs
Ah. Thanks ij. So I guess I'll be lookin for a non internally wastegated turbo, would a larger or smaller wg help spool a turbo with a larger ar, or do they have a big effect on each other?

IJ.

Grumpy Old Man
Mar 30, 2005
I come from a land down under
The idea is to hold the WG closed till you need it open then you need enough volume through the gate to control the turbine for the AR housing you are using.

Looser AR can get away with a smaller WG, tighter housings need a bigger WG.

Mastapip

Apr 20, 2009
Ft. Worth Tx
I'm pretty sure I know the answer to this already, but is it possible to make a ct-26 externally wastegated? I'm assuming you'd need a new exhaust manifold, but I've not seen one available for this purpose.

s383mmber1

Oct 31, 2005
Somers New York
Mastapip;1305941 said:
I'm pretty sure I know the answer to this already, but is it possible to make a ct-26 externally wastegated? I'm assuming you'd need a new exhaust manifold, but I've not seen one available for this purpose.

Weld the wastegate shut, and throw in an external to the mix

Mastapip

Apr 20, 2009
Ft. Worth Tx
s383mmber1;1305950 said:
Weld the wastegate shut, and throw in an external to the mix

Well i figured that's how you do it, but I've not seen any hardware to accommodate an external wastegate for a ct-26... have i just not been looking hard enough?

crisp

existentialincrementalist
May 25, 2007
Ohio
Honestly, you'd be better off to go to a elbow-back DP setup for the CT than dick around with modifying it. My opinion.

G/L!

-crisp

Mastapip

Apr 20, 2009
Ft. Worth Tx
crisp;1306032 said:
Honestly, you'd be better off to go to a elbow-back DP setup for the CT than dick around with modifying it. My opinion.

G/L!

-crisp

already got a divorced downpipe. The only reason I'm really considering it is because I want to get rid of the boost creep. I haven't picked up an EBC yet, and I'm hoping that will help, but I'm not holding my breath.