Wastegate Malfunction?

teedoff00

14 psi boost
Dec 5, 2007
Selah, WA
Hey guys, I have another question, sorry I know I have been plaguing the forum lately, just trying to get all the kinks worked out before spring hits. My wastegate doesnt seem to open anymore and the my ecu throws the code for wastegate malfunction, which I back up on my boost gauge hitting like 21-25 and I have it set to run about 12 (manual boost controller). Do wastegate actuators/solenoids go back frequently? If so where is a good place to pick up a replacement (i am running an upgraded ct-26 by the way, 19-20 psi boost max, not sure what trim)? Is there something else that can cause this overboost, cuz I am definitely getting boost.
Any help would be awesome,
thanks again

shaeff

Kurt is FTMFW x2!!!!
Staff member
Super Moderator
Mar 30, 2005
Around
http://www.cygnusx1.net/Supra/TechTips/engine_error_codes.aspx

wastegate malfunction? i see no code for that, unless you're talking about abnormal boost pressure.

post what code you have, and we'll tell you the problem. ;) chances are, you're either overboosting due to a shimmed wastegate, or you have a boost leak.

what kind of fuel system/engine management do you have? (ie: injector size, pump size, AFM type ((lex/maft?)) etc...

jtran8

Supramania Contributor
Mar 29, 2007
wichita kansas
Check the hose that hook between turbo and wastegate actuator to make sure it not leaking , also make sure the hose between wastegate actuator and boost controller no more than 18" long ( shorter is better for wastegate response ) back your boost controller all the way out and give it a try , that way you know either you have bad boost controller or wastegate malfunction. ( you said that you adjusted your manual boost controller to 12psi , how do you know that ? you might have bad boost creep that you don't even know ).

Last edited:

teedoff00

14 psi boost
Dec 5, 2007
Selah, WA
Ok, well I to explain better, I just finished by build last year, and last october after breaking in my rebuilt engine (new pistions, reconditioned rods, arp hardware throughout, hks mhg, new seals and clevite bearings,) I installed a new intercooler, 2.5" hardpipes, lexus afm, 550cc injectors, AEM wideband, and autometer boost gauge. I another mbc and while down in Vegas for SILV, on my way home I boost hard in 4th and hit fuel cut and it turned on the engine light, I believe it was a code 34 and just figured the wastegate wasnt opening anymore, since then it has always overboost at wot and hit fuel cut tripping the light. So I bought a new easier to regulate (or so I thought) mbc and installed it with new hoses (olds ones where fuel line type and brittle and cracked) so I figured that was my problem, but I am still experiencing the same issues. The turbo is an upgraded ct-26 that came with the semi-wrecked 87 turbo I bought to swap into my 86.5, so I dont know of the trim but I was told it pushes about 19-20psi ideally. So if anyone has any ideas, please post!
Thanks alot
btw- I have full 3" exhaust all the was from turbo back, including elbow and dp.

GrimJack

Administrator
Dec 31, 1969
Richmond, BC, Canada
idriders.com
Sounds like you might be hitting a genuine fuel cut.

$2 boost leak tester will help. Plugging a bicycle pump with a gauge into the wastegate line and watching to see if it opens will rule out a broken wastegate. If both of those turn out ok, I'd guess you may need to pick up a fuel tuning device to get a few extra PSI before you hit fuel cut.

teedoff00

14 psi boost
Dec 5, 2007
Selah, WA
Ok, so if the wastegate doesnt open after checking it with the pump, does that mean my actuator is bad? I know I can manually make the flap itself open but not sure if the Actuator is just bad. I really do just need to by a FCD so I can run higher boost, I already have an Aeromotive AFPR. Where is a good place to buy a replacement wastegate actuator?
Thanks again

GrimJack

Administrator
Dec 31, 1969
Richmond, BC, Canada
idriders.com
If you can't get it to open with a pump, then the vacuum membrane in the actuator is torn. I'd try jtamulis (notrice.com) or aaron (driftmotion) for the actuator, I'm pretty sure either or both of them can get them.