Want to Raise Boost on 7mgte from stock to 10psi with Oil Leaking... Bad idea??

Suprapowaz!(2)

Apr 10, 2006
San Antonio, Tx.
755hp;1991984 said:
Even my roommate has been telling me to solve my maintenance issues before as he quotes "going balls to the wall" Lol.

Balls to the wall, or balls out. Neither mean to expose ones genitals in any way.

"The expression comes from the world of military aviation. In many planes, control sticks are topped with a ball-shaped grip. One such control is the throttle—to get maximum power you push it all the way forward, to the front of the cockpit, or firewall (so-called because it prevents an engine fire from reaching the rest of the plane). Another control is the joystick—pushing it forward sends a plane into a dive. So, literally pushing the balls to the (fire)wall would put a plane into a maximum-speed dive, and figuratively going balls to the wall is doing something all-out, with maximum effort. The phrase is essentially the aeronautical equivalent of the automotive "pedal to the metal."

The expression is first found in military-aviation sources that date from the Vietnam War, and it was recorded in the slang of U.S. Air Force Academy cadets in 1969. Although no evidence from the period has come to light, Korean War veterans have also reliably claimed to have used the expression in the 1950s. An earlier parallel is balls-out, in the same sense, which is found in military-aviation sources that date from World War II. (The phrase was also painted on the nose of at least one fighter plane.) In both cases it's likely that the possibility of an anatomical interpretation has helped the expressions gain wider use."

mcammarn

matt
Feb 24, 2012
olympia wa
Everyone here is correct. Keep up on maintance first! These 7ms are like females, always gotta watch them . I'm using a hall man and like it as well

gp-7mgte

Ramrod
May 29, 2005
under my hood
Suprapowaz!(2);1992003 said:
Balls to the wall, or balls out. Neither mean to expose ones genitals in any way.

"The expression comes from the world of military aviation. In many planes, control sticks are topped with a ball-shaped grip. One such control is the throttle—to get maximum power you push it all the way forward, to the front of the cockpit, or firewall (so-called because it prevents an engine fire from reaching the rest of the plane). Another control is the joystick—pushing it forward sends a plane into a dive. So, literally pushing the balls to the (fire)wall would put a plane into a maximum-speed dive, and figuratively going balls to the wall is doing something all-out, with maximum effort. The phrase is essentially the aeronautical equivalent of the automotive "pedal to the metal."

The expression is first found in military-aviation sources that date from the Vietnam War, and it was recorded in the slang of U.S. Air Force Academy cadets in 1969. Although no evidence from the period has come to light, Korean War veterans have also reliably claimed to have used the expression in the 1950s. An earlier parallel is balls-out, in the same sense, which is found in military-aviation sources that date from World War II. (The phrase was also painted on the nose of at least one fighter plane.) In both cases it's likely that the possibility of an anatomical interpretation has helped the expressions gain wider use."

ytypybuq.jpg

Sent from my HTC VLE_U using Tapatalk 2

super51fan

Jul 28, 2010
Indianapolis
The best thing to do is mod a car that does not even run correctly. If you go about it like you say you are you will soon call your car a pos.

And then jump on the idiot owner "junk 7m club" It should be "idiot owner club who destroyed a 7m"

Good luck and get the cart behind the horse.

jugodegolf

Supramania Contributor
Apr 5, 2005
Phoenix,AZ, United States
7M4EVR;1991998 said:
Its human nature to want what we dont have right now. For us car guys, when we feel 400hp we want 500 and when we feel 500 we want 700 and so on. The guys that are successful in reaching their hp goals are the guys that are extremely patient. Look through the build threads and see how long any of the worthwhile ones have been going on. The guys that rebuild an entire car in a month and have it last are probably single with no kids so they got the cash to spend on their cars, very skilled mechanics, and have the hookups and skills to do it.

For the rest of us supras are like investing...sure u can throw all your money into a volitile stock that might net u some good gains for awhile but sooner or later your gonna lose it all. Or you can have the slow ,steady approach, and after some time you will have one hell of a diversified portfolio...i mean kick ass ride.

Good video of one guys quest for more, and this is with the 2JZ
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YrM9NFHhl0Q

din904

Oct 25, 2010
Jacksonvile,FL.
You should do exhaust,intake and downpipe before you start boosting that alone gives you a couple pounds of boost and 70+ hp on a healthy engine so do your maintenance first! Also cheapest way to get more boost is to shim your wastegate good luck

755hp

Goal - 755hp
Jul 19, 2012
Tri-State Area & MI
din904;1992046 said:
You should do exhaust,intake and downpipe before you start boosting that alone gives you a couple pounds of boost and 70+ hp on a healthy engine so do your maintenance first! Also cheapest way to get more boost is to shim your wastegate good luck

70+hp?? Wow! But maintenance first, definitely!

Thanks man.

Insidious Surmiser

Formerly 89jdm7m
May 12, 2006
Oceanfront
IndigoMKII;1992001 said:
second, 10 psi is done simply by changing to a better air filter and a full exhaust. I dont mean crush bent bullshit, get a decent mandrel bent 3inch exhaust with a 3inch bellmouth downtime.

third, if you cheap out on this car, it WILL murder your fucking wallet without thinking twice. do you have a comfortable pair of shoes? buy some cause it'll leave you walking.
I'd have to object to this 100%.

#1 my car does stock boost w/ full flow exhaust. although intake is stock. granted, the head is ported, resulting in less pressure, more flow, still ~275whp for stock boost (dyno @10 292whp,298wtq)

#2 I've always ran my engine hard as hell (with respect) to make sure it wasn't going to fall apart/break. Should note I've never been lazy enough to blow a HG. Of all the failures I've had (lots) I've only been stranded once, and that was my fault 100% like an idiot I crossed new o2 wires over the exhaust, and the insulation melted, shorting the efi circuit. TONS of times I've had something break entirely, or fall off the car, and I could still drive hundreds of miles.

#3 cheap doesn't mean fuck all to me. if you do something, do it right, doesn't matter how you go about getting it done or how much of your resources you're capable of expending

That said, everyone does (or should be doing) the best that they can. Sometimes that's above and beyond what's necessary, other times it's only enough to scrape by. At some point though, most people trust someone else to do the best that they can (mechanic/tuner/machinist). And at that very point, everything can go to hell, real quick. Doesn't matter how much $$ you throw at it. So, let it be known that anyone doing any tuning, machining, or assembly for you better damn well have 200% confidence from you to do it right, the first time. In this game, confidence and trust aren't given freely or easily, but given based on experience and proven results.

Last edited:

IndigoMKII

May 9, 2011
Madison, Virginia
Insidious Surmiser;1992132 said:
I'd have to object to this 100%.

#1 my car does stock boost w/ full flow exhaust. although intake is stock. granted, the head is ported, resulting in less pressure, more flow, still ~275whp for stock boost (dyno @10 292whp,298wtq)
I didn't know that I had to give an exact number when regarding how much the PSI was raised. And since your car has head work, it's not in this topic.
#2 I've always ran my engine hard as hell (with respect) to make sure it wasn't going to fall apart/break. Should note I've never been lazy enough to blow a HG. Of all the failures I've had (lots) I've only been stranded once, and that was my fault 100% like an idiot I crossed new o2 wires over the exhaust, and the insulation melted, shorting the efi circuit. TONS of times I've had something break entirely, or fall off the car, and I could still drive hundreds of miles.
Apparently you've only had minor failures, and did you drive those hundreds of miles? Remind me never to buy a block or head from you. Toss a rod and see how long it'll drive.
#3 cheap doesn't mean fuck all to me. if you do something, do it right, doesn't matter how you go about getting it done or how much of your resources you're capable of expending
Cheap, fast and reliable. Pick two. In order to do something right it normally requires cash to do so.

That said, everyone does (or should be doing) the best that they can. Sometimes that's above and beyond what's necessary, other times it's only enough to scrape by. At some point though, most people trust someone else to do the best that they can (mechanic/tuner/machinist). And at that very point, everything can go to hell, real quick. Doesn't matter how much $$ you throw at it. So, let it be known that anyone doing any tuning, machining, or assembly for you better damn well have 200% confidence from you to do it right, the first time. In this game, confidence and trust aren't given freely or easily, but given based on experience and proven results.

If you're putting out money for a tuner to tune your car, and that tuner knows nothing about it, that's your fault for letting him try it.

Insidious Surmiser

Formerly 89jdm7m
May 12, 2006
Oceanfront
@Indigo

#1 there's always an exception, you may not ever find it, for all intensive purposes, it may not even exist.

#2 yes, I drove those hundreds of miles, more than once. major mechanical failures, I avoid those, or they avoid me, not sure which.

#3 anything else you said pretty much went without saying.

Infinite variables. that is what I'm getting at.