vibration in rear end

qu3tzlgum8y

Jan 5, 2007
Rancho Cucamonga, California
I have a noticeable vibration at around 25 miles per hour. Jacked up the car today check for play anywhere and I noticed there is lateral movement in the rear wheels. Looking closer, the movement is coming from the traction bar bushings.

Could this be my vibration problem? or is some movement normal? what's the best option for upgrade?

If this isn't my problem, what else could it be? control arm bushings?

Is it possible it could be my differential?

I have brand new BC Racing coilovers installed. I believe they are set at around 8 from full soft.

supraguru05

Offical SM Expert: Suspension & Vehicle Dynamic
SM Expert
Dec 16, 2005
louisville ky
When you say lateral movement what do you mean? Can you grab the wheel and pull it outward and it moves relative to the hub?

qu3tzlgum8y

Jan 5, 2007
Rancho Cucamonga, California
no, if you are looking at the side of the wheel, you can move it side to side. you can move the wheel towards the front of the car and back. I'm buying some new traction arms next week at driftmotion. hopefully this helps.

supraguru05

Offical SM Expert: Suspension & Vehicle Dynamic
SM Expert
Dec 16, 2005
louisville ky
I dont see how the carrier bearing would effect the wheel location. If you had a broken bushing that would certainly cause this motion.

toyolla86

Dec 6, 2010
salt lake city,utah
i would first look through the drive shaft. make sure its all bolted up correctly
my old nova had this issue where it would vibrate at high speeds really bad.
turned out the drive shaft was installed all wrong. it was jimmy'd in there with
a bunch of spare parts. and the guy i got it from couldnt figure it out. hah

Poodles

I play with fire
Jul 22, 2006
Fort Worth, TX
Vibration is at low speed vs a harmonic from the drivetrain.

Also, I don't think the bars are going to fix it as they don't replace the spherical joint in the hub. It's a bitch to replace too, and the only place to get them is the dealer.

seth959ci

Jan 18, 2011
So. in
i just fixed a vibration in the rear end of mine... turned out to be a sticking caliper on a slightly warped rotor

prsrcokr

Motörhead
Apr 3, 2005
Richmond
Are they original bushings or aftermarket? A couple of us found that replacing the bushings in rear lower arm #1 (round arm with swaybar tabs) would cause it to snap at the subframe end. Evidently that arm needs to flex like stock, I heard of some issues on the A1 arms and wondered if it was the same location. Luckily mine happened on a test run not on track. This was on street tires, not sticky stuff.
When replacing the bushings with the subframe out I had checked all for binding and noted none, different case when the suspension is loaded.

Brian

Last edited:

Grimsta

Supramania Contributor
May 30, 2007
Santa Rosa, Ca.
keep in mind what he's saying that he can rock the wheel to the front of the car and back of car. A driveshaft wont have wheel movement! There's definately some arm there with a beat bushing in there somewhere. Maybe check for loose chassis bolts too, also would be a good idea to inspect ur subframe for cracks while ur down there