very good information here

supraturbotimmy

Dec 19, 2006
uk
hi well it is very nice to see a section that most people wouldn't bother with, just to say the information on here is very clear and correct, i have many years experience in the oil industry i worked for FUCHS lubricants aka silkolene and was the manager for oils and lubrication at honda uk manufacturing. this was for the whole manufacturing site. if they wanted to know what went in anything they asked me. if any has any questions for me just ask :)

jdub

Official SM Expert: Motor Oil, Lubricants & Fil
SM Expert
Feb 10, 2006
Valley of the Sun
Thanks for the kind words...I just might take you up on the offer. Some of the European oils are starting to show up here in the US ;)

suprageezer

Aug 27, 2005
Southern California
Although it's not a supra related question I do have some question's for you as far as your Honda experience goes. I have a 2004 Honda XR400 Dirt Bike, the oil that's recommended is Honda GN4 or HP4 4-stroke oil or equvalent motor oil, API service classification: SF or SG, Viscosity 10W-40 or 20W-50. I have been told I need this oil due to an additives package needed for the cams in the engine. My question is what makes this oil different and is there a better substitute than the Honda Oil?

supraturbotimmy

Dec 19, 2006
uk
hi, well the hp4 is a semi synthetic oil and the gn4 is a regular mineral oil, as far as additive packs go thats open to discusion, they changed the spec of the hp4 with a high moly content then changed back to no moly,if you want to stick with the honda oil then the hp4 would be a better choice, there are other choices i am obviously more familiar with the fuchs silkolene range and the comp 4 it has a very good ester pack and sg,sh,sj rating and certified jaso ma this would be a good choice, but most of the manufacturers oils are blended by someone else ie who makes the factory fill in honda cars??? fuchs, it is blended to honda spec, can you buy this oil in the shops?? no. what would honda use for oil in a service... whoever had the oil supply contract to do so. so is there a better substitute, yes there is lots of them :)

supraturbotimmy

Dec 19, 2006
uk
basically the oils you get from the mass produced manufactures is not as high quality as you would think, most stock oil is only a mid range oil, nothing fancy ad packs just pretty normal oil, if you want to change from factory oil then a good 10-40 would be fine unless your more into harsh conditions then the 20-50 would be my choice, most well known reputable brands would be suitable. me personally i put the best oil i can lay my hands on in my car as its the blood of the engine, my usual oil is the silkolene pro s race oil partly because i get it dirt cheap lol

jdub

SM Expert
Feb 10, 2006
Valley of the Sun
Geezer - Red Line carries a line of motorcycle oils, both in a 10W-40 and 20W-50...API SJ, SG, & SH. My son is running the 10W-40 in his Yahama R6, with a Wix filter...The 600cc motor on this bike redlines at 15K rpm ;)
Red Line Motorcycle Oils

These are ester based, Grp V oils with additional zinc and phosphorus additives to meet the high rev demands of a motorcycle engine. Either (I would use the 10W-40 for most conditions) will take whatever demand you can come up for your bike.

suprageezer

Aug 27, 2005
Southern California
Supraturbotimmy & Jdub, Thanks for the info, I'll go Red Line before I ride again. I ride only during the winter in the high desert, average air temp is usually in the 40's so I'll go with the 10W-40 since the bike has an oil pump, oil cooler, and cooler fan. I also have a frame oil temp gauge and have always warmed it up to 180° before riding. The thiner oil will make it rideable sooner.
Again Thank You for the help
Rick

Last edited:

jdub

SM Expert
Feb 10, 2006
Valley of the Sun
I wouldn't...the add packs are very different for motorcycle vs automotive oil. Motorcycle oil actually contains less base stock oil as a result.