Using a timing light to check distributor pulses?

suprarx7nut

YotaMD.com author
Nov 10, 2006
Arizona
www.supramania.com
Hey all.

SO my Toyota truck (91) is running like complete crap. I hate driving a car not up to par and I'm determined to set it straight.

I wanted to use my timing light to check for ignition on each cylinder. I thought this was a neat idea. Just clamp the light to each wire and make sure it fires consistently (or as consistently as the light will indicate) and it should be straightforward.

Well, I tried it out and my timing light starts flashing if it is held within 6 inches or so of the distributor. What the he..... How would it do that? The timing light has worked awesome for years and its a CHEAP harbor freight light. I'm now thinking either the light is TERRIBLY insulated or the wires and TERRIBLY insulated. Or maybe I just dont have a clue how the timing light really works and I'm a retard...

The light works very well for setting timing and very clearly lights the crank pulley position.

The wires are BRAND NEW Bosch Mag core wires. (I was too cheap to buy the $100+ Toyota wires for my POS beater truck, i know, shame on me...)

Are the wires THAT bad? is my light THAT bad? Is my logic THAT bad?

suprarx7nut

YotaMD.com author
Nov 10, 2006
Arizona
www.supramania.com
Well I fixed my issue, but the timing light still doesn't make sense.

Anybody know why it would flash anywhere on the vicinity of the dizzy?

Sent from my ADR6400L using Tapatalk

te72

Classifieds Moderator
Staff member
Mar 26, 2006
WHYoming
My extremely limited knowledge of electrical systems would suggest poor insulation somewhere. Last time I saw a distributor, the only insulation on it was that little plastic cap... That would be my *guess*, hopefully someone who knows their electrical voltage from their Mt Dew voltage will chime in for you. :)

Black Cat

Sep 11, 2009
Fort Bragg NC
Does his idea about using a timing light make any sense?
I've hooked up my timing light to the Supra and have noticed that the flashes aren't consistent.
It does this for all the cylinders. Is this normal or does it reveal a problem with the ignition system?