upgrading speakers

caballo

Aug 2, 2008
So Cal
hi
i have a set of 4 inch kickers installed in the front and dont like how they sound.
im considering buying the 6.5 speaker pods...
how much difference will there be in sound?
and what speakers are suitable for the 6.5 pods?

im thinking of ditching the rear speakers and adding a sub... opinions?

thanks

Chris86.5

Oct 5, 2006
Leduc AB
big difference with 6.5"...better sound, more dynamic range.

good idea to ditch rear speakers you dont need them. and if your willing to pay the price and get good speakers... pioneer TC720R's, awesome speaker

arizzle

Lov'in the boost.
Nov 1, 2006
burnaby, BC
annoyingrob;1195477 said:
Agreed, make your own pods, it's easy.

The factory 6.5" pods don't have enough depth to them to fit most aftermarket speakers, and you'll end up hacking them apart anyways.

making your own pods would probably cheapier, but i love my 6.5 fronts im running a set of typeR's SPR-17C and love them! my 4" sounded horrible compared to my 6.5", i compared it from my 87 to my 92 i didnt upgrade the pods.

shiftysupra

Nov 4, 2008
Tucson, AZ
agreed on making your pods... keep in mind there are only 2 speaker companies in the world. one of which "Vifa" makes speakers for companies like sony, pioneer, rockford-fosgate, alpine.... it really all just comes down to the dB sensativity of the speaker and the speaker construction. ie. a paper cone speaker will sound different than a speaker made from kevlar. Speakers i would recommend are either jl audio or infinity (vifa)

shenronzero

spitfire
Oct 19, 2007
orlando/ New Smyrna Beach FL
here it is.... aparently i forgot i had 6'' speakers. thought they were 5.25''. who knew. and in case you cant tell by the pic. they are 1/4'' thick. i was in a rush to make them when i did about a year and a half ago. havent seen a need to remake them either.

p1196317_1.jpg

p1196317_2.jpg

p1196317_3.jpg

p1196317_4.jpg

p1196317_5.jpg

p1196317_6.jpg

Pernilongo

LADA is my daily
Jul 15, 2007
Los Angeles
caballo;1198064 said:
thanks for all the help guys!
i think im just going to go with the 91 - 92 pods because i have no cutting tools.

i have my eyes set on either of these two

http://www.onlinecarstereo.com/CarAudio/ProductDetail.aspx?ProductID=19729

http://www.onlinecarstereo.com/CarAudio/ProductDetail.aspx?ProductID=17562

but im not sure if the kappas will fit...

You know i replaced Kappa components in one of my cars a few days ago with CDT components, and the difference is huge. more detail, more true to life voices, more dynamics, much more open sound. buy the kappas if you don't want to hear all the detail in your music only. Other wise, for 10-20 bucks you can get cdt Cl coaxials or better yet Image Dynamics, believe me they are much, much better then infinity. I'm saying it because i compared them. the only situation when infinity works is when you didn't hear anything better, thus, can't objectively know what you are missing. ;)