Turbocharger oil feed line angle placement? My new turbo is leaking oil...

Spaniard

Banned
Oct 21, 2005
La pearla PR
So I have a 1jz supra and I went to install my new DM 60-1 turbo on and the oil feed line was exactly straight up and down. I was told to put it this way cause anything more than a 15 degree angle difference and it will leak passed the seals. I am using a -4 AN fitting into the turbo (journal bearing).

I went to prime the turbo, then start, when it started (no downpipe). I saw oil leaking passed the turbine spinning. Any ideas on whats going on here? Brand new turbo mind you.

Thank you.

Spaniard

Banned
Oct 21, 2005
La pearla PR
Rennat;1233378 said:
Is there a restrictor between the feed and the turbo of any sort? or is it a -4 line all the way?

Nope. Straight -4 AN line from off the block to the turbo line feed. This is on a 1JZ and I use the oil feed near the back of the block, I know a lot people use the front one. Dont know if it makes a difference.

tissimo

Stock is boring :(
Apr 5, 2005
Melbourne, FL
As long as your drain is fine (not blocked or kinked or anything), you have a bad turbo. Contact your reseller about getting a replacment under warranty.

Spaniard

Banned
Oct 21, 2005
La pearla PR
tissimo;1233475 said:
As long as your drain is fine (not blocked or kinked or anything), you have a bad turbo. Contact your reseller about getting a replacment under warranty.

Hey Justin, long time no speak. I know you have been helping my buddy Pedro out a lot. How is everything?

The "return" line was not blocked or anything, it was brand new. But I do have a question, if I put a 90 degree "short" fitting right on the bottom of the CHRA and then another 90 degree so I can go straight down so make a "S" to go around my manifold at the time, would this cause problems?

MDCmotorsports

Offical SM Expert: Turbochargers
SM Expert
Mar 31, 2005
Indy 500
www.MDCmotorsports.com
Spaniard;1233689 said:
If I put a 90 degree "short" fitting right on the bottom of the CHRA and then another 90 degree so I can go straight down so make a "S" to go around my manifold at the time, would this cause problems?

Yes.

Drain must be no smaller than -10 and MUST flow as straight as possible.