Turbo map help

Pyro15D

kind of a lucky dude
Aug 24, 2008
Whidbey Island, Washington
I had a question about reading compressor maps. I think I did this right but would like someone more knwledgeable on the subject help me out. This is a Boss Jr 60-1 turbo. I don't know if all 60-1 compressors are the same across the board; I just found this in google images and edited it in paint. Anyway, according to the thread on how much the 7m breathes under boost, I took the numbers from there and plotted them on the chart, using my datalog as a reference for boost/rpm. I got full 20psi boost pressure at 3900 rpms and it held till I shifted at 6200 rpms. My intake temp was between 55-57 degrees F (not that it makes any difference for this) and my AFR's at 20psi were pretty solid at 11:1. Anyway, judging from the chart I made, how well sized is the turbo? It almost looks to be on the small side, but like I said, I'm not very experienced with this.
Turbo-t4-60-1.jpg

Suprapowaz!(2)

Apr 10, 2006
San Antonio, Tx.
Plot the same points on a T61 and you'll be pleasantly surprised. It's been known to be a good match for the 7mgte. Unfortunately, does not bolt onto the stock manifold. It's a T4 turbo. It's old technology too, as many here would point out. Still a good match.

t61.gif

Pyro15D

kind of a lucky dude
Aug 24, 2008
Damn that is a really good match. Just for shits and giggles, I plotted those points on the compressor map of my little brother's S366 as well and it looked alright too. Why don't people recommend the s366 on the 7m? I might have to break down and go T4 I guess! The T61 looks very promising.

hvyman

Dang Dude! No Way Man.
Staff member
Apr 17, 2007
Fullerton,CA
the 366 is a 66mm. Its good for higher hp 7m. The 360 is a 60mm and prolly be a good match for where your at with the boss jr. and the s363 is a 63mm. SX300 is the bw turbo line up for those sizes. there is also a s362 fmw with there billet compressor wheel fromt he efr series.

The efr series are all billet ball bearing and the bogger ones dont have internal wastegates.

Pyro15D

kind of a lucky dude
Aug 24, 2008
Well, actually I'm pretty happy as far as power goes right now. My 560cc injectors are right at 80% duty cycle when going all out, and at 11:1 afr and 20psi with full 3" exhaust and trust/greddy FMIC, I'm probably sitting pretty close to 350-400rwhp I'd imagine. I don't know though. I need to put it on a dyno. As far as goals though, I would kind of like a turbo that supports my power right now but is less stressed. If I'm reading that map correctly, it almost looks like I'm pushing that turbo too hard.

hvyman

Dang Dude! No Way Man.
Staff member
Apr 17, 2007
Fullerton,CA
Your at about its maxamium. Could prolly go a little more but it will run out of breath soon. Not bad tho for a bolt on turbo.

Any newer 61-63mm turbos with a good tune will get you apst 500 at those boost levels.

Pyro15D

kind of a lucky dude
Aug 24, 2008
Awesome, thank you both for your advice. I really like the turbo and especially how quickly it spools (I guess that has something to do with the fact that it has a .58 A/R on the turbine and ball bearings) I just don't like how far out of the island I am. I'm not seeing temps rise too high yet, but I don't really do long pulls either. The larger intercooler and better piping probably help quite a bit in that area as well.