Trying to get a title for a car in California without much help from the owner?

Figit090

Fastest mk3 GT4 1/4 mile!
Jan 7, 2006
Humboldt County
I'm trying to get a car that's neglected and abandoned by it's owner in the owner's wooded property. It's going to need to be on a trailer 240 miles back to my home. Both locations are in California, where the car will be registered non-op, but I'm currently unsure of it's registration status and I also know that the owner probably won't want to deal with me, so I have to make it as straightforward as possible.

I also might have to do some communication through the mail as far as signatures are concerned, because the car is 240 miles away. That is, unless any signatures I need can be taken the day I pick up the car. I may be dealing with a hoarder, or someone reluctant to get rid of the car even though it's painfully obvious they don't have it.

I was wondering if anyone had experience with back fees and/or trying to register a car that's been forgotten for a long time, in this case 2001. I'd love any tips on what paperwork to make sure I have, how to go about getting the proper transfer of title before picking up the car, and making sure it goes smoothly.

If anyone has tips, I would greatly appreciate them :)

Thanks!

To sum it up; there's a car under some trees 240 miles away, I have a limited budget and I'm hoping to acquire the car for very little if not free. I have limited runs to the location, and I'd like to limit it to one trip because I'm borrowing transport equipment, and I need to transfer ownership to myself with as little effort from the current owner as possible because she may be VERY reluctant.

honestabe

Happy as hell :D
Jan 15, 2006
Mount Vernon, WA, USA
www.cardomain.com
Since it's on private property you will need to get ahold of the property owner. Any way you can have a closer Supra owner talk to them? If it were on public property that would be different. Beyond that getting a title for an abandoned vehicle is fairly easy, just requires a couple certified letters.