Trouble With Rear Rotor

vaboy

Jul 12, 2013
Virginia
Broke a rear, drivers side wheel stud when putting my wheel back on. Having trouble removing this rotor, I did try to search for other people having the same problem but everyone says there are two holes you use to push the rotor off. Not sure if I don't have them or perhaps I'm not understanding. I also read to re-adjust the e-brake using a small screw driver in the whole on the bottom, but in previous threads I've heard that isn't necessary if the e-brake is disengaged because it shouldn't be making contact to hold it on. I thought the cotter pin and 32mm spindle nut might be holding it on but I've read they are also not necessary to remove(thank goodness because mine is rusted on there Tight). I wouldn't mind replacing the rotor if need be but I'd prefer to not beat the hell out of it with a sledge for fear of ruining other parts. Attached a pic so everyone can get an idea of what I'm working with. it's an 86.5 5 speed manual if it helps & yes I've looked in several different manuals they all say to adjust the e-brake down using a small screwdriver in the adjustment hole.

rotor.JPG

hvyman

Dang Dude! No Way Man.
Staff member
Apr 17, 2007
Fullerton,CA
Yours looks to be rusted on. Use some penetrating oil and bang on the front with a hammer.

There is also those 2 holes that are slightly covered up. They have threads. You screw bolts into them and the rotor will pop off.

Also make sure the ebrake is not on or you'll never get it off.

Silver MK3

Jan 24, 2011
Madison, AL
I believe the hole with threads is the same size as one of the bolts for the caliper or so. I remember using one of the bolts I already had off the car to get the rotor off.

super51fan

Jul 28, 2010
Indianapolis
8x 1.25 bolts are what you need for threaded holes in rotor. Install the bolts and thighten to approx 10ft 15lbs. Just enought to put some load on rotor. Then take a moderate sized hammer and whack the rotor hat between wheel studs. Btw Don't hit the studs. Then turn in bolts until they get snug again and then whack rotor a few times. Turn bolts and whack.. Get the idea. Also !st step is to spray with Rusty. And yes do not use bolts that go to the car. Go to auto parts store. The reason you turn and wack is so you won't strip out threads in rotor hat. Spray those holes and bolts should start in the two holes.

Last edited: