Travel advice for San Francisco please...

Suprapowaz!(2)

Apr 10, 2006
San Antonio, Tx.
Looking to take the family to San Francisco and looking for some travel advice. I'm looking to stay a few miles away to save some money and wanted to advice as to which cities to stay away from. Which cities are ok to stay in, and which hotels are cool to stay at. I don't mind staying 25-30 away from San Francisco. I'm looking at some Fairfield Suites, Best Westerns, Red Rood Inn, Howard Johnsons and the like. Not trying to spend all of my money at a fancy resort style hotel unless they are practically giving it away.
Most importantly I want to stay somewhere safe. I've been looking at Travelocity, priceline, Orbitz, Hotels.com, and others and I'm roughly looking at $1400 for Hotel & car rental for four night stay. I know it's an expensive city to visit, but I'm trying to save a little here.

jetjock

creepy-ass cracka
Jul 11, 2005
Redacted per Title 18 USC Section 798
Well, don't go east. Oakland is not a place you want to be. South of SFO will be safe if not pretty. Burlingame, San Mateo, San Carlos, etc. North of the bridge is OK too but not cheap. Bring jackets because Mark Twain (who really didn't say it) wasn't kidding. And be sure to take the family to The Castro...

Suprapowaz!(2)

Apr 10, 2006
San Antonio, Tx.
Thanks, I knew about staying away from Oakland. I was looking South, but didn't know anything about it. I looked up The Castro and there's lots of pretty colorful flags posted everywhere. They also show pics of lots of very happy men hanging around. I'll have to look more into it.

debrucer

Supramania Contributor
Be sure and get tickets to the prison before your trip. I went there for a weekend, three times, before I figured it out :( I have since been to the prison three times, each time learning something new. One time I ended up on a special tour of the showers, another time a night tour, limited to 20 people, where we went up into the hospital section where The Birdman lived for something like eleven years. There was no electricity in that section, so three of the 20 of us carried lanterns. The last two times I was there you could not sit out on the steps because birds were nesting. To me, that was one of the most exciting things... sitting on those steps, the top step, knowing the fights and hierarchy that existed when the prison was operating... I'd never been allowed on the top step.

At any rate, learn from my mistake. Get your Alcatraz tickets ahead of time. You really don't want to miss it.

Have fun!