Transmission pan bolt help

mickgarvey

Jul 5, 2009
Mukilteo, Wa
I recently changed the kickdown cable and did the transmission filter and gasket, but i am unable to correctly torque the bolts to 19ft lbs. My torque wrench seems to be alot more inaccurate than I thought and I feel like its over tightening them befor showing its at 19ft/lbs.

Should just tightening them by hand fairly tight be good? Or should I continue and crank the bolts till the torque bar says 19lbs?

I tried searching but I could only find the torque specs and im fairly broke (damn cable was 110 alone) so I really would like to avoid buying a new smaller torque wrench. Thanks

IJ.

Grumpy Old Man
Mar 30, 2005
I come from a land down under
19 in/lbs?

It's actually 65in/lbs (about 5 ft/lbs), try 19ft/lbs and you'll snap them off.

AT_138.gif

tacoma_kyle

Apr 12, 2009
Klamath Falls, OR
---EDIT....whoops...thought the casing was in discussion...---

Not to be nit-picky but in/lb is improper units. I know everyone knows what you mean, but it is in•lb. ft•lb...etc force times distance, not divided by.

tacoma_kyle

Apr 12, 2009
Klamath Falls, OR
Wait were you talkin about casing? Miss read.

I already did and stripped one or two. My Tacoma has a 30-40LE (ASIN code for A340x). They got substantially loose, so I left them alone and hoped the sealant did the job. I had to do that stupid gasket 3 times cause the sway bar kept interfering with my placement of the pan. Then I broke a sway bar end link and took the bar off....made it MUCH easier.

And it is not gayin it up....it is simply wrong. Distance per force? I am not sure how that is applied, but it can be. It isnt a torque.

mickgarvey

Jul 5, 2009
Mukilteo, Wa
haha well shit, i just tightened them as tight as I could with one hand and a tiny little t bar. Good thing I didnt go all out with the torque bar and snap them! I knew it seemed like to much. But anyway shes up and running strong now, finally can enjoy the supra again.

IJ.

Grumpy Old Man
Mar 30, 2005
I come from a land down under
mickgarvey;1361849 said:
haha well shit, i just tightened them as tight as I could with one hand and a tiny little t bar. Good thing I didnt go all out with the torque bar and snap them! I knew it seemed like to much. But anyway shes up and running strong now, finally can enjoy the supra again.

Nah that's ok don't mention it I don't need any thanks for the effort I put into giving you the information..... :nono: