Tranny won't shift at wot in pwr mode

Mk34ullboost

Boost addict
Jul 22, 2012
Pinole
This just started recently I have my trans throttle cable adjusted all the way out. From what I've read it's suppose to stiffen shifts and help the trans last longer by keeping pressure up and not allowing as much time between gear changes. Lately when I stomp the go pedal it will get to redline and stay there until I let go a little then it shifts. When racing a have to feather the at high rpm to keep it from redlining. This is only in pwr mode though. I have a cat back 2 1/2 and intake with boost set right before boost cut(no aftermarket gauge so not sure on exact) car runs great otherwise. I noticed this while racing a z28 from a 60mph roll downshifted good good but wouldn't shift back up until I let the gas go a little( still won though) any help would be great or ill be starting a rebuild thread by the way 87t tranny flushed about 10000 miles ago still red.

Nick M

Black Rifles Matter
Sep 9, 2005
U.S.
www.ebay.com
The PWR button only changes the shift timing. It does nothing else. And the button is only a signal to the controle module (computer). I can't say I have heard of it failing in that way. The throttle cable doesn't effect shift timing in anyway, only quality of the shift. According to Toyota. Pull trans DTC's and see what it says. I think the PWR button isn't really it, just the speed that can't be over come. A sticking solenoid will still stick when you unplug the range selector. An electrical failure will go away.

OfnaRcR4

Shea!
Oct 2, 2006
kettering ohio
This isn't nomal but its a common for shifts to take a little while during wot. There are valve body mods and other tricks you can do to make it react a bit quicker. How long does it redline for when wot?

Poodles

I play with fire
Jul 22, 2006
Fort Worth, TX
Once you start modding the car and making more power, the auto won't be able to keep up. Shifts aren't instant, and the stock shift points are timed to not hit readline. Add more power, and it's too fast to not hit redline by the time it shifts.

Other than that, I dunno what your issue would be as autos really aren't my forte...

IJ.

Grumpy Old Man
Mar 30, 2005
I come from a land down under
FFS will this adjusting the Line Pressure cable bullshit ever die.... :nono:

Running max pressure all the time is just sucking fuel and putting load on the pump for no reason..

Sure wind it out a turn or 2 if you want a bit more part throttle pressure but it works fine the way it's been designed as it increases pressure with throttle opening as needed.

TPS adjustment can play a part in shift timing so if it's off it might do what the OP describes.