Tranny fitting/bracket

Ok so we got the engine and tranny in. We're doing a auto to w58 swap. Well we used the tranny bracket from the auto(we did not have the manual one) and it's off by about a half inch. We put in the drive shaft and connected it to the rear of the car. It can go in about a half inch into the tranny, but i don't know how far the drive shaft is supposed to go into the tranny. Is there a difference between tranny brackets? or does it sound like tranny/engine is off a little bit?

Oh and the engine is on the mounts mounted to the car.

Whoops edit

BlackDynamite;915093 said:
Ok so we got the engine and tranny in. We're doing a auto to w58 swap. Well we used the tranny bracket from the auto(we did not have the manual one) and it's off by about a half inch(It needs to come back towards the rear a little bit to line up the bracket with the holes in the car). We put in the drive shaft and connected it to the rear of the car. when it was disconnected it would go all the way in, but i wasn't sure if it was supposed to do that. Now that it is connected to the rear, it moved about a half inch away from the tranny. Is there a difference between tranny brackets? or does it sound like tranny/engine is off a little bit?

Oh and the engine is on the mounts mounted to the car.

cuel

Supramania Contributor
Jan 8, 2007
Baytown, Texas
Sounds like you need a cross member and/or mount from a manual car. The drive shaft should be fine. The diff. in our cars is bolted directly to the subframe, so it doesn't move up and down with the suspension like a truck, or mustang, or your old Nova.

cuel

Supramania Contributor
Jan 8, 2007
Baytown, Texas
Cross member, yes. If you can post a pic of the one for the auto, I can compare it to the one for a manual tomorrow.

cuel

Supramania Contributor
Jan 8, 2007
Baytown, Texas
Doh! Sorry, I forgot to get them yesterday. I was working on something else for Ma70.Ent. I'm headed to the shop this afternoon to fix my Revo, so I'll get a pic of the manual cross member for you. It won't be installed, as I've got most of that stuff stripped out of my project car. I'll take some measurements while I'm there, though.

Ma70.Ent

Supramania Contributor
Feb 26, 2006
NJ
cuel;916878 said:
Doh! Sorry, I forgot to get them yesterday. I was working on something else for Ma70.Ent. I'm headed to the shop this afternoon to fix my Revo, so I'll get a pic of the manual cross member for you. It won't be installed, as I've got most of that stuff stripped out of my project car. I'll take some measurements while I'm there, though.

Oops :biglaugh:

cuel

Supramania Contributor
Jan 8, 2007
Baytown, Texas
Hmm... This one sits flat the way it is. It's also off set to one side, as well as front to back. It'd be easy to get it backwards. Can you post a pic or two of your's to compare?

ok i measured from the front of the AT to the mount(The thing under the cross member plate we're looking for) and from front of the manual to the mount. There is about an inch of difference.

SO the plates must be different because the mounts are the same....
p918037_1.jpg

p918037_2.jpg

p918037_3.jpg

p918037_4.jpg

p918037_5.jpg

Supra-Kid315

Nov 5, 2007
Cambridge
I'm doing a 5spd swap as well using a w58 tranny and u need 2 have the w58 tranny "wings" brackets that bolt 2 the tranny 2 engine and the w58 rear brace, I just installed it 2day and everything lined up perfectly no problems at all also do u have piks of the ur tranny with the wires cuz Im missing connections and I'm having trouble with the wireing