track setup-alignment

roadboy

Supra Owner
Jan 22, 2008
Toronto, Ontario
hey, just a question. i dont really see what people set their alignment for the track.
i have seen some very aggressive alignment setups, but i just want a mild or something that can be used for the streets as well.

also if you lowered the car, how should you align it back to spec? or should you change something?

hvyman

Dang Dude! No Way Man.
Staff member
Apr 17, 2007
Fullerton,CA
Unless you have access to an alignment rack I would just align it for the street like around -1 camber.

Work more on your driving skill around corners.

IJ.

Grumpy Old Man
Mar 30, 2005
I come from a land down under
I always ran a bit more castor in my Mk3 to settle it down at high speeds, loads up the steering at low speeds but I'm not a girly man so didn't mind it, camber all depended on the tires fitted at the time, bit more with sticky rubber bit less on hards.

veedubin

Official SM Decals
roadboy;1842038 said:
yes i got access to a alignment rack, i work at a shop. what settings would you recommend?

I'm sure someone will share their numbers with you, but until then research. Hit the net, there are millions of sites just about suspension geometry, theories, and settings. I also had gotten a book from the library (yes they do still exist and yes they are even cool now. PS3 game rentals for free :D ) that was really in-depth about suspension setup. Once you fully grasp how and when the settings effect the handling of the car, then you can start with your own specs.
Ie... drag setup - throw a degree or so of positive camber to the back wheels. When the car squats coming out of the hole the suspension will suck up that +camber and bring the rear tires perfectly flat for the widest contact patch possible.

Sent from my LG-P504 using Tapatalk 2

hvyman

Dang Dude! No Way Man.
Staff member
Apr 17, 2007
Fullerton,CA
For a road course more camber in the front will be better.

Maybe start off with -1.5 front and -1.2 rear and adjust from there whether you want more or not.

te72

Classifieds Moderator
Staff member
Mar 26, 2006
WHYoming
Do you have any time at the track on your current setup? I would start with a stock alignment, hit the track, make mental notes of behavior (oversteer? understeer? any odd or unexpected behavior?), THEN go from there... that way, you will be able to tell if your changes are helping. ;)

veedubin

Official SM Decals
te72;1842090 said:
Do you have any time at the track on your current setup? I would start with a stock alignment, hit the track, make mental notes of behavior (oversteer? understeer? any odd or unexpected behavior?), THEN go from there... that way, you will be able to tell if your changes are helping. ;)

^Step 1... do this ^

Supra56

Apr 29, 2012
Sydney, Australia
I have raced many different race cars,(road course). I generally find 2mm toe out on the front (help turn in)and around 2mm toe in on the rear. However if driving on the road, 2mm toe out on the front can be annoying. My supra has 4+negative camber on the front and around 2 on the rear, however all of my suspension is adjustable. Keep in mind my supra is race only. Hope this helps.