Tracing out electrical issues, now no crank

thagber

Apr 7, 2013
Martinsburg WV
So i've been tracing out some electrical issues on my supra, one thing first off is im not sure if it's an 87 or an 86.5, it was made in august 86 so im thinking its an 86.5 but im not positive...Anyways, First off my alternator isn't charging the battery, I've traced out my wires and checked continuity up to the fuse block where the connectors plug into the fuse block and all of them are good, also i've checked the fuses and relays and flasher because i have no turn signals, no hazards, and no winshield wipers. I've replaced the battery and the combination switch assembly (turn signal/headlight switch, and wiper switch) with one that i got from a junk yard with the wiring harness and all. So i've been tracing some of these issues out and yesterday it would crank and run fine (excluding that the alt is not charging) and today when i went to start it up to move it into a better place to work on it i've got no crank. The car has power and my battery still has 12.38 volts on it so i know its not an issue of having killed the battery. The lights will work, and when i turn the key to the accessory mode i've got power, as soon as i go to crank...Nothing. Im kinda at a loss at what to look for at this point...i've checked and rechecked everything that i was looking at today before i went to move the car and everything is plugged up like it should be and the fuses are good. I know i've got a small list here, but anything that you guys can think of would be extremely helpful. Thanks to all in advance. Oh, and i do have the haynes manual so i've been using it to trace the wires out.

IndigoMKII

May 9, 2011
Madison, Virginia
When you turn the key, do all the lights dim and you'll have a starter click?

Could be a bad starter relay or even a bad connection between the battery and the starter.

blacjack

Jan 18, 2006
Maryland
I would look at the Neutral Start Switch ( if it's an auto), and run the shifter through a couple times and try again. That's how I found my bad NSS.

jdmfreak

PACNW
Oct 8, 2010
north clark co. WA.
what jetjock said.... Also put your key in the driver door and lock and unlock it a few times there is a chance you set off your alarm this will turn it off if so

Nick M

Black Rifles Matter
Sep 9, 2005
U.S.
www.ebay.com
As a side note, you should lose most electrical power to accessories and lights when trying to crank the engine. This is true on almost all cars.

gsxr141

Oct 24, 2010
rochester
similar problem here..... without warning, my car had a no start issue yesterday. when you turn the key all you get is a click from the passenger footwell area. before i buy a new starter, is there any way to test the relay?

gsxr141

Oct 24, 2010
rochester
i actually just tried another one in there. all i get with either is a click. nothing from the starter, just from the relay.

charman02

Cruiser
Oct 14, 2008
Fresno
Will our cars do have a common issue with the starter solenoid power wire with high resistance. The fix to it without replacing the wiring harnesses is adding a relay. There should be a write up here somewhere

gsxr141

Oct 24, 2010
rochester
there is a write up, but there's mixed feelings about it. most of the people that did the relay mod had intermittent issues, mine just stopped working yesterday. i'd love to be able to diagnose the "Real" problem, but being colorblind makes it pretty hard to do electronics. :(

charman02

Cruiser
Oct 14, 2008
Fresno
I've done the relay mod and haven't had any issues since and it's been a year and a half now. If u don't wana go that route, u can always check resistance in the power wire to starter solenoid. Also, try removing the 20amp fuse underhood for dome light. If it starts up, it's a good possibility that ur anti theft is activated

gsxr141

Oct 24, 2010
rochester
well, looks like i might actually have a bad starter. i get power to the small wire on the starter when i turn the key, so it looks like the wiring and relay are good.