Toyota Head Gasket Limitations?

suprarx7nut

YotaMD.com author
Nov 10, 2006
Arizona
www.supramania.com
suprapilot;2067406 said:
I plan to do the same if I need to. I don't want to pull the engine and have it stripped down to resurface the block. Id do studs and inserts after like you are with the possibly Perma Torque HG. I wounder how the latest Toyota HG seals?

I don't know what qualifies as the "latest", but my Toyota Head Gasket from a few years ago has around 30k miles at about 11-12 psi 50 trim CT26 with no problems. I run it hard and it's been great. Prepped head and just a razor scraped block surface.

suprarx7nut

YotaMD.com author
Nov 10, 2006
Arizona
www.supramania.com
the t3d;2067516 said:
That's a nice test on the gasket. How much power do you think you're pushing? Did you put ARP hardware in there?

ARP studs. Power: eh, who knows. I'm guessing under 400 crank, maybe low 300's to the wheels. I haven't done anything to get around fuel cut and I have the boost controller set *just* under fuel cut.

Part of my summer plan is to get her on the dyno and do a test between my current cat (largest standard format cat magnaflow offers) and a test pipe.

I'm a huge proponent of the Toyota head gasket, but if I were aiming for more than 400 whp I'd rebuild the block and have the deck surfaced by a machine shop. With some proper machine work and a MHG the sky is the limit where the OEM composite is great at lower power levels (arguably better than MHG), but it's a liability much above where I am now.

the t3d

P B4 A
Sep 30, 2006
Titusville, FL
Yea I hear ya. I'm now in the slow process of selling my old, new MHG so I can put it towards the reinforced composite gasket and the ARP sleeves. This is definitely challenging my patience but I know I am doing the right thing and doing it right.