Torque converter/ tranny issues

starworts

Dec 8, 2010
california
Hey guys,

1987 Non-turbo supra 76,000 miles Its a real gem except my problem

Got myself into a pickle. It seems that my torque converter and tranny are dying. When I turn the car on engine starts fine BUT when i put it in gear nothin happens. A strange sound has been coming from my torque converter for the last couple weeks ever since i had the tranny fluid flushed. When i took it to the shop to find out what was up with the sound they said when the put a stethoscope to it it sounded like the torque converter. Mind you my No. 1 and No. 2 solenoids in my tranny haven't been working.

The mechanic said it would cost $1600 give or take to do a tranny rebuild and the torque converter. My question is... is it worth it to do a rebuild? Is it to much? I'm a starving college student working part time sooo money is a rather big issue these days.

I was also wondering where in the world i could get parts for this animal?

I have always wanted to do the 2jz twin turbo swap and also convert it to a manual tranny. Should i just wait for the money to do the swap

Opinions and all help is VERY MUCH appreciated!

Thanks!

bloodasp90

JZwhore of JAPAN
Nov 9, 2007
on the river
putting in a Good used auto trans isnt hard at all.. as long as you have the tool to do so, witch are basic tools anyways..
My $.02 would be to find a good trans, and drop it in, and wait to do the 2jz, cause theres no reason in trying to rush a swap only to screw it up.. but thats me.