Too much clutch

IndigoMKII

May 9, 2011
Madison, Virginia
How much pressure on the crank is too much? I know using very strong pressure plates can cause damage but how high do you have to go before it's really bad?

I know twin/triple disc setups are better because they achieve the clamping pressure without causing too much load.

Backlash2032

Sep 20, 2010
Nebraska
I've heard of 2Js having no oil on the thrust washer on first start up + a heavy clutch = crankwalk.

Sent from my terrible HTC Rezound using Tapatalk. Don't buy HTC...

Poodles

I play with fire
Jul 22, 2006
Fort Worth, TX
OfnaRcR4;1922209 said:
I've never heard of a single case on an MK3 that this has been a problem.

You haven't look very hard, it was extremely common with the RPS 3200lb pressure plate.

Backlash2032;1922212 said:
I've heard of 2Js having no oil on the thrust washer on first start up + a heavy clutch = crankwalk.

Sent from my terrible HTC Rezound using Tapatalk. Don't buy HTC...

Also an issue on the 7M.

If you're running a motor that makes enough power to eat a somewhat beefed up single plate, go multiplate. It's cheaper than crank walk...

Poodles

I play with fire
Jul 22, 2006
Fort Worth, TX
hvyman;1922398 said:
Just bypass the clutch start switch.

From the threads I read years ago on that other forum, the people that have crank walk had already done this. It's simply too much force on a bearing that isn't pressure oiled and thus isn't meant to take high loads.

te72

Classifieds Moderator
Staff member
Mar 26, 2006
WHYoming
Poodles;1922411 said:
From the threads I read years ago on that other forum, the people that have crank walk had already done this. It's simply too much force on a bearing that isn't pressure oiled and thus isn't meant to take high loads.
Ahh, so it wasn't just a lack of oil at start up issue then? I was going to suggest the bypass myself, but hvyman beat me to it.

Also, If you're at the point where you're needing to ask about what the MOST something can hold is, you should probably be looking into something more proper/overkill anyway. Cheaper and more time effective to do it right the first time, as we ALL know the bite of the horsepower bug. ;)

Poodles

I play with fire
Jul 22, 2006
Fort Worth, TX
There was talk years ago about drilling the block and thrust bearings to force feed them oil, but that was also around the time that the RPS pressure plate was the only real option for a high HP car. We have more options these days.

IndigoMKII

May 9, 2011
Madison, Virginia
When the time does come for me to go with more clamping pressure, I'll probably go Giken twin disc or something similar. I just want to make sure that the clutches I'm looking into in the mean time aren't going to be causing premature damage.