Tire Pressure

xXxICExXx

Aug 6, 2006
Abbotsford, BC, Canada
What do yall put your psi down to? I'm just getting into the drag racing scene and im curious what everyone uses for pressure on oh lets just say normal street tires:icon_razz

drjonez

Supramania Contributor
Mar 31, 2005
the motor city
www.4cefed.com
changing rear tire press on street tires is dumb. it's not going to gain you anything.

airing up the fronts does make sense since you're decreasing rolling resistance....every little bit helps!

Slow66

I think with my dipstick
Apr 3, 2005
Newington, CT
Tire pressure on regular old street tires doesnt really offer much in gains. If underinflated, the middle of the tire wont contact the pavenmant as well, and if over inflated, well, obviously thats not gonna help either. I woudl just run the reccommended pressure for that tire and beat up the clutch to get a decent 60' :). DRs and ET streets/slicks, are a whole different ballgame.

MDCmotorsports

Offical SM Expert: Turbochargers
SM Expert
Mar 31, 2005
Indy 500
www.MDCmotorsports.com
drjonez said:
changing rear tire press on street tires is dumb. it's not going to gain you anything.

airing up the fronts does make sense since you're decreasing rolling resistance....every little bit helps!

I know this Doc... but just recently at GLDW @ Chicaco 2006 we had 40/40 tire pressure (front / rear) on my friends mk2.

We went to the setup that I posted, and he knocked almost 3 tenths off the time.

corylee316

until it goes boom
Aug 17, 2006
Moscow, IA
With street tires it will take some playing with. I'm sure each one is different. You might see gains by going up or down. Enough messing around and you can fine the right combo. Comming from the domestic group I now this little thing can make all the difference in the world, especially to a non-slick run. When you are running dot tires pressure is more important than almost anything else.