Timing cover deck issue

cyanide54

Mar 18, 2012
Vancouver, BC
Hey guys,

Looking for the help of people that know these motors really well. Not just opinions of those who aren't sure.

So I have my 7mgte out of car, just had it rebuilt by a shop that usually works with domestic v8's, ford motors in specific. I went to them because my buddy worked there for years and I have friends that have said nothing but good things about them. Everything looks good apart from one thing that I noticed which they may have accidentally overlooked. The front timing cover doesn't seem to be at the same deck height as the block. So I took a feeler gauge to it and it is 12 thou taller than the deck height of the block. I notified the shop, and the owner said they would gladly take the motor back and fix it. But I told him that I would dig a bit first and see if it is totally necessary. Now, from what I have read, everyone says get it decked with the block, but at only 12 thou would the new felpro stock head gasket not experience enough gasket crush to make a tight seal? Or should I delay my build and get it fixed?

Dan_Gyoba

Turbo Swapper
Aug 9, 2007
Alberta
www.gyoba.com
If you want to know if they can just deck the cover without re-doing the block... that depends on the machine shop. You tell them that you need a gasket sealing surface. I don't think that the deck surface area of the timing cover is large enough for it to guarantee flatness with the block myself.

Can a stock type gasket crush/adjust for 0.001"? Probably, if it's relatively even, but I'd personally rather not take the chance.