Time for an aftermarket stereo... HELP!

Justin

Speakers?
Mar 31, 2005
Spokane, Wa
Neodeuccio;1818147 said:
2 Antennas? That would explain it. The white wire plugs into the back of the stock stereo just like the black, and looks a little like a headphone plug. I had no idea we had two antennas.

Where does #2 go?

Yes, as posted a few posts up we have two. One is in the rear window and the other is the obvious one. Just hook the larger of the two up, it should fit directly into the aftermarket radio. Disgard the smaller one, there's nothing to do with it.

And also, does anyone have a pin-out diagram for the factory power antenna? The one that was on the car wasn't stock, and was busted, so I'm replacing it with a powered unit, but I have only three connections on the new unit and I'm not sure where to connect them.

TSRM will have that. You're MOST LIKEY going to need Constant (+12 with the ignition off){on second thought that constant might be switched, not constant}, Ground, and then the remote turn on from the radio harness. TSRM will tell you for sure though.

Neodeuccio

Addicted to boost...
Sep 30, 2006
Schenectady NY
I looked, but I couldn't find it. I have a paper copy of the TSRM that would be so much easier to use, but I just moved and it's packed away somewhere...

Neodeuccio

Addicted to boost...
Sep 30, 2006
Schenectady NY
Justin;1818151 said:
You're MOST LIKEY going to need Constant (+12 with the ignition off){on second thought that constant might be switched, not constant}, Ground, and then the remote turn on from the radio harness.

That's what I need all right. The problem is that the factory antenna harness has like 7 pins, and the wires aren't typical colors. So I need to figure out which ones to splice in to.

Justin

Speakers?
Mar 31, 2005
Spokane, Wa
Neodeuccio;1818290 said:
That's what I need all right. The problem is that the factory antenna harness has like 7 pins, and the wires aren't typical colors. So I need to figure out which ones to splice in to.

Do you have a multimeter? Just find the wires. I'm sure that's in the TSRM. I'd find it for you but I'm seriously short on time at the moment (explain to me why I'm on SM instead of studying :rolleyes: )

te72

Classifieds Moderator
Staff member
Mar 26, 2006
WHYoming
Justin;1818317 said:
Do you have a multimeter? Just find the wires. I'm sure that's in the TSRM. I'd find it for you but I'm seriously short on time at the moment (explain to me why I'm on SM instead of studying :rolleyes: )
Probably the same reason I'm on here instead of showering at the moment...

Neodeuccio

Addicted to boost...
Sep 30, 2006
Schenectady NY
So the new stereo is in and looks good. New power antenna is in as well, though it does go up any time the stereo's on. Oh well.

Thanks for all the help!

Justin

Speakers?
Mar 31, 2005
Spokane, Wa
Neodeuccio;1818964 said:
So the new stereo is in and looks good. New power antenna is in as well, though it does go up any time the stereo's on. Oh well.

Thanks for all the help!

Was there one or two blue wires in the stereo side harness? Also, you can wire in a switch to cut power to the antenna while you're listening to a CD/iPod etc, if you're so inclined.

Neodeuccio

Addicted to boost...
Sep 30, 2006
Schenectady NY
Justin;1819150 said:
Was there one or two blue wires in the stereo side harness? Also, you can wire in a switch to cut power to the antenna while you're listening to a CD/iPod etc, if you're so inclined.

Only 1 blue wire. I though about putting a switch in, but it just didn't seem worth the effort. In truth, it really isn't that important.

Apr 4, 2005
Tucson, AZ
te72;1817989 said:
If it bothers as much as it did me, it's a simple thing to pull the connector for the antenna. Radio sucks where I live anyway, so I never listen to it. ;)

x2

i actually listen to alot of radio and get great reception with out the antenna powered up. my deck supports HD radio which is amazing btw

Neodeuccio

Addicted to boost...
Sep 30, 2006
Schenectady NY
slowmedown;1819445 said:
x2

i actually listen to alot of radio and get great reception with out the antenna powered up. my deck supports HD radio which is amazing btw

Really? I get shit reception without the antenna up.