tightening steering box?

modmonster2008

mod crazy yo!
Sep 9, 2008
Seattle, WA
www.myspace.com
is there a way to do so? i already replaced my ball joints and still my steering has play, what else would i consider to check besides the steering box, and is there actually a way to tighten it on a mk3 supra?

Asterix

Lurker of Power
Mar 31, 2005
Vienna, VA
Check the isolator and u-joints on the steering shaft inside the engine compartment. An old dead isolator could be the source.

Racks do have a spring-loaded piston that keeps the rack pushed against the pinion, but tightening that down past spec usually doesn't do very much to remove play.

Asterix

modmonster2008

mod crazy yo!
Sep 9, 2008
Seattle, WA
www.myspace.com
^ what is an isolator and where could i find that? i saw it has a little bit of play between the shaft and the joint area and im in the process of getting that replaced soon, but about the isolator i have no idea what that is

Poodles

I play with fire
Jul 22, 2006
Fort Worth, TX
The bushings that mount the rack. Look up under the car when it's on the ground and have someone turn the wheel back and forth. If the rack moves there's your issue.

modmonster2008

mod crazy yo!
Sep 9, 2008
Seattle, WA
www.myspace.com
well the rack isnt that covered in grease of some sort, just a few areas covered with oil and the rest is just road debris. how hard is it to replace the intermediate shaft just in case?

BTW: does anyone know where to get steering rack bushings?

Last edited:

Asterix

Lurker of Power
Mar 31, 2005
Vienna, VA
modmonster2008;1533902 said:
^ what is an isolator and where could i find that?

All cars have some sort of rubber isolator on the steering shaft to reduce vibrations coming back up to the wheel. Our's is 45260 here. It's a tube inside a tube with rubber between them.

Asterix

supraguru05

Offical SM Expert: Suspension & Vehicle Dynamic
SM Expert
Dec 16, 2005
louisville ky
You can get stock steering rack bushings from toyota or you can get poly ones from ronniek on here. Can you take a video of the play your seeing? Or maybe just a measurement of how much play you have.

modmonster2008

mod crazy yo!
Sep 9, 2008
Seattle, WA
www.myspace.com
ill try recording a video of it today, its reasonably a good amount of play which causes the steering wheel to play especially driving on highways when all teh other cars ive driven dont have play when im driving.

modmonster2008

mod crazy yo!
Sep 9, 2008
Seattle, WA
www.myspace.com
bushings were in tact i had someone turn the steering wheel back and forth the rack didnt seem to move around at all, i tightened the adjusting bolts on the rack and pinion the steering felt a lil more stiff and responsive but i still have that freeplay around 3/4" it bugs me, anyone else fixed it?

supraguru05

Offical SM Expert: Suspension & Vehicle Dynamic
SM Expert
Dec 16, 2005
louisville ky
Well this is where it gets tough to diagnose over the internet, here is my suggestion. Get a buddy with you and work your way from the steering wheel all the way to the upright. He can sit in the car and you grab whatever point your at and see if the play is there. Basically you work your way through the system seeing where the play is introduced. Start by grabbing the intermediate shaft and having him turn the wheel. If that is tight you move next down past the U joint. If that is still tight then your down to the rack connection. And so on.