Tie rods

bottorml

Jan 29, 2010
Bellingham, WA
I can't seem to find the inner tie rod replacement section in the TSRM and my Haynes has disappeared. Can someone point me in the right direction on how to disconnect the inner tie rod from the steering rack?

Thanks,
Mark Bottorff
86.5NA->T (soon 1JZTT)

bottorml

Jan 29, 2010
Bellingham, WA
I found the procedure in the TSRM but I don't have the right tools to unstake the claw washer to stake the new one. And I don't a wrench skinny enough to fit in there. Does anyone have a DIY method for replacing this part?

Thanks,
Mark

Asterix

Lurker of Power
Mar 31, 2005
Vienna, VA
What I did was buy a cheap set of large crescent wrenches and used a bench grinder to make one thin enough to fit. Staking and unstaking the washer can be done with a large flat screwdriver or a standard cold chisel. You're just bending the ears by hammering on them.

Asterix

bottorml

Jan 29, 2010
Bellingham, WA
The tie rod tool works on the driver side. But on the passenger side there is a bracket on the rack that prevents the tools from sliding all the way to the end. Since the engine is out of the car I took the rack to a local shop. When they took it apart we found that the seals are all blown out. No bueno. So I will be getting a new ps rack on Wed. Has anyone seen the movie Money Pit... My wife says I have an addiction. Hi, my name is Mark and I own a Supra.