Tie Rod/Ends

MA70witBoost

Registered Drifter
Haven't gotten around to really driving my Supra seeing as its been under construction for 2+ years. Im rebuilding the rack and was hunting for aftermarket Inner Tie Rod and Tie Rod Ends but can't find any. How's the steering angle on the 87 Turbo Supra? Anyone know? Is there any need to upgrade the Tie Rods? or are they beefy enough not to break and long enough to give good steering angle?

Wiisass

Supramania Contributor
I don't think anyone is making inners or outers just yet. It's on my long list of suspension parts to design and I would like to have something together soon. But for now, I do sell steering spacers which will increase the crappy angle these things have stock.

So if you're drifting, I really recommend the spacers. Not just because I sell them, but because the car sucks without them. Stock tie rods will be fine, they seem strong enough.

Wiisass

Supramania Contributor
There's pictures of the spacers in the old group buy thread for them. They just go in between the inner tie rod and the rack and allow it to travel further.

Without them, drifting a supra is boring unless you like the shallow angle boring drifting. Supras don't have much angle stock and it just sucks to drive if you've ever driven anything else before. So doing something to increase the steering angle is totally worth it.

It's up there with good suspension and diff in terms of benefits for sliding the car.

MA70witBoost

Registered Drifter
Wiisass;1017040 said:
They just go in between the inner tie rod and the rack and allow it to travel further.

well you see, i've been having concerns as far as that. Wouldn't the correct way to increase steering angle be by messing with the rack itself?

I would have figured that extending tie rods or inserting spacers would leave the alignment in a toe out setup and the cars alignment would never be right again. Accepted that a slight degree of toe out would cause more turn in and a tendancy for the car to want to oversteer more, it can also cause wandering if too excessive.

One of the guys on SFLDrifters.com has a MK2 that he claims to have moddified his rack to allow him to use AE86 Corolla Tie Rods and that it's increased his steering angle. IDK... Im still having concerns about this. Steering angle is a plus... but tires are expensive (atleast my front falken azenis' are).

Wiisass

Supramania Contributor
You reset your toe after installing the spacers. It would be stupid to run that much toe out and there really wouldn't be any benefits to running that much anyway.

You install spacers. Reset toe. Then you have more steering angle. It's simple and easy and cost effective and you need it if you want to drift like a man.

Wiisass

Supramania Contributor
I don't know, but it's definitely not like a man. And drifting a stock supra, like stock suspension and everything? That just doesn't sound like fun. Unless you want to go out and spin out a bunch of times and do a burn out or two, then I would do a little more to the car first. I mean I guess it could still be fun if you've never done it before, but it's going to suck.

I would recommennd at least suspension, diff and steering spacers. Suspension meaning something better than lowering springs on crappy dampers. Diff meaning something other than a stock "LSD." And steering spacers so that full lock is not super shallow angle boringness.

And then if that's already done, a seat and a steering wheel would be next along with better sized wheels/tires.

MA70witBoost

Registered Drifter
so your not fond of the kyb/eibach combo? Im planning on some coilovers later but they are expensive.

I've done the kyb/eibach combo, suspension tech swaybars front and rear (on softer setting.. wanted to try them out like this first, then tighten the rear bars to the next notch and see the difference), front and rear strut tower bars, stock lsd, and was thinking of getting some traction control rods for the back. I was thinking that as a start. Throwing it around a bit as is (maybe including the steering spacers) and trying to get used to it then just step it up little by little.. any recommendations?

And as far as drifting a stock car, i know its far from a supra, but my stock J30 diff equipped SOHC S13 has been one hell of a fun drift car so far. Only difference i woulda really imagined the supra woulda had would be the weight.

Last edited:

Wiisass

Supramania Contributor
The kyb/eibach combo is just really soft. It's not that it's not going to be fun, it just might not make things any easier. And the stock LSD really isn't that great. People have used it and it can slide, but it is kind of like a Nissan VLSD, it may work alright for a little, but after a while, it just doesn't do anything. Welded or clutch type would be your best bet.

The weight is a big difference though and it affects the way the car handles.

But I guess it will work for getting started, but if you know how to drive at all, the setup will be holding you back after an event or two.

A-to-the-J

Panda™ and Pre-89 Gracer™
Feb 19, 2006
Anaheim/West Covina, CA
sorry to go a little OT, but you mentioned the steering spacers earlier.

would there be any clearance/rubbing problems with a 9.5" wide wheel with a +35 offset? I'm also running 275/35 tires. I've slightly rolled my fenders to not allow rubbing. Also, I'm on Eibach pro Kits with Tokico Blues.