Thread for all my stupid build questions :)

dok33

My fuel pump precedes me
Apr 16, 2005
Austin, TX
www.cardomain.com
Nuther head-related question: I'm thinking about going with the BBC comp cams valve springs, would I need to reshim? Same question if I swap to the cams that are in the other motor. Thanks!

Poodles

I play with fire
Jul 22, 2006
Fort Worth, TX
you won't ned to reshim if you change the valve springs as long as you keep the valve assembly together (don't mix and match valves with the keepers, ect, keep them with the spot they go in)

if you swap cams, you'll have to reshim (usually you can get away with moving them around for most of them, and then buying the ones you need or sourcing them off a spare head)

dok33

My fuel pump precedes me
Apr 16, 2005
Austin, TX
www.cardomain.com
Bumping my waaay old post, I ended up buying a 2jzge to swap in but decided I'd drop my extra 7m shortblock in while I save for the rest of the swap parts. I pulled the oil pump tonight and the #3 and #4 rod caps. More of the same markings as the other rod bearings, but I noticed on these that there are a couple of small grooves that catch my fingernail if I drag it across. Here are pics of the two bearings:
p1310005av0.jpg

p1310012jn3.jpg

This is the first internal engine work I've done and I'm trying to decide whether they're ok or if I should put some new bearings in and also if it's not worth it because the crank will need to be machined. I can't feel anything on the crank but there are some faint marks that seem to align with the grooves on the bearings:
p1310004ou7.jpg

Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Last edited:

suprahero

naughty by nature
Staff member
Aug 26, 2005
Roll Tide
Main bearings and rod bearings are cheap. The guys that did my enigne intalled clevite bearings for $85.00. I mean that's how much they charged me for them. That was for a 2jz. Good luck.

dok33

My fuel pump precedes me
Apr 16, 2005
Austin, TX
www.cardomain.com
This motor is gone, sold it along with my rod-knocking 7M that was in the car for $300 last week :) My garage is almost 7m-free, sold off everything to pay for my 2j swap parts. Shoulda done that a long time ago...