This can't be right - excessive blow-by?

Dan88t

Jun 12, 2007
Binghamton, NY
Yeah, IAC... no real reason, I was going to be replacing the accordion hose with a hard-pipe, never got around to finishing the job... the last couple of months have consisted of me "trying things out" in anticipation of the current re-do of my previous half-assed build...

I'll shoot DM an email on the rings - thanks for the tip!

Dan88t

Jun 12, 2007
Binghamton, NY
One thing I've learned over my years lurking on Supramania is to never doubt IJ... Until I pulled the rings off I didn't notice this, busted ringland on piston #6. The cylinder walls look good, no vertical scratches so I don't think it was busted for all that long... ugh... forget rings, now I have to buy new piston(s)...
p1884499_1.jpg

MarkIII4Me

Project OVERKILL!!!
Apr 10, 2005
Charleston, SC
A little off topic, but how loud is that breather filter you have on your IACV? I'm currently running one with a metal element and the damn thing SCREAMS! Driving me freakin batty. Hoping going to a mesh filter like yours will shut it up.

Dan88t

Jun 12, 2007
Binghamton, NY
Even with that type of filter the IACV is loud as hell... I'm going to figure something else out when the current rebuild is done because the sound is crazy annoying...

Quin

Trans killer
Dec 5, 2006
Columbus, IN
I had a similar situation years ago. Piston looked totally fine, set it down and came back later. When I went to pick it back up most of it stayed there. Lol

IJ.

Grumpy Old Man
Mar 30, 2005
I come from a land down under
IJ.;1880642 said:
I'm willing to bet there's at least one broken ringland in your engine or it's just plain worn out... :(

Dan88t;1884499 said:
One thing I've learned over my years lurking on Supramania is to never doubt IJ... Until I pulled the rings off I didn't notice this, busted ringland on piston #6. The cylinder walls look good, no vertical scratches so I don't think it was busted for all that long... ugh... forget rings, now I have to buy new piston(s)...

ta Daaaaa :D

destrux

May 19, 2010
PA
No intentions of being a smart ass here, but you have your terminology mixed up a bit. The ring land is the part of the piston between and above the rings. You've got a broken ring, not a broken ring land. Those do break too though, so check your pistons carefully. Detonation usually breaks them.

Edit: LOL, sorry, I'm an idiot. I just noticed you DO have both a broken ring and a broken land. Sorry about that.

piston5.jpg

Last edited:

IJ.

Grumpy Old Man
Mar 30, 2005
I come from a land down under
destrux;1884802 said:
No intentions of being a smart ass here, but you have your terminology mixed up a bit. The ring land is the part of the piston between and above the rings. You've got a broken ring, not a broken ring land. Those do break too though, so check your pistons carefully. Detonation usually breaks them.

Edit: LOL, sorry, I'm an idiot. I just noticed you DO have both a broken ring and a broken land. Sorry about that.

piston5.jpg

You doubted me?? ;)

Dan88t

Jun 12, 2007
Binghamton, NY
Not that it matters but the rings aren't broken, in fact I even used the one you see in the picture to check my ring gaps on that cylinder (they're within spec)
---
The big question is WHY did the ring land break? I know I had a couple of runs while setting up the maft pro where my AFRs went way high (19+) and the knock sensors killed my power... but that was a few weeks before I did the 6500+ RPM pulls in 4th gear and noticed all the oil pouring out of my filter. I assumed the piston broke during those runs, then I noticed the oil pouring out, limped it to the garage and pulled the engine... I wouldn't think I could've driven a few hundred miles with that busted piece of piston just being held in place by the two rings - right?

te72

Classifieds Moderator
Staff member
Mar 26, 2006
WHYoming
MarkIII4Me;1884517 said:
A little off topic, but how loud is that breather filter you have on your IACV? I'm currently running one with a metal element and the damn thing SCREAMS! Driving me freakin batty. Hoping going to a mesh filter like yours will shut it up.
Looking over your build, I'm beginning to think you might be better off in the long run investing in some good ear plugs/muffs. :p

IJ.;1884856 said:
"incipient detonation" Google it ;)
I remember reading up on that when you suggested that the last time I saw you post about it. Kinda shitty from what I learned about it.